April 27, 2024, 08:53:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Yet another Amp ?

Started by Harleyguy UltraLimited, January 28, 2015, 03:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harleyguy UltraLimited

So I own a 2014 ultra Limited going with Kappas front and rear . I listen to FM and don't mind spending some extra money for a really good amp that matches well with the speakers . I read the other threads and didn't want to hijack them.

I believe I need to order the Boom Grills also
And have the dealer flash the head unit still .
Thanks for the advice
Proud owner
2014 Ultra Limited

Gannicus

January 28, 2015, 05:33:54 PM #1 Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:42:13 PM by Gannicus
Might take a look at AAWAV's amp testing sticky at the top of the page. The Rockford 4 channel would probably be a great choice with the infinity's. No FM lost with the Rockford amp. On another note I'm not sure if the Infinity's fit in the rear pods on the 14 without some modification. The guys will chime in but that's my .02.

AAWAV

Quote from: Gannicus on January 28, 2015, 05:33:54 PM
Might take a look at AAWAV's amp testing sticky at the top of the page. The Rockford 4 channel would probably be a great choice with the infinity's. No FM lost with the Rockford amp. On another note I'm not sure if the Infinity's fit in the rear pods on the 14 without some modification. The guys will chime in but that's my .02.

keep in mind I have not had the RF on the bench - the 4 channel... 2 channel outperformed the specs on 2 ohm... if you are willing to take that in consideration, you should be well over 100W RMS at 2 ohm on the T400x4 AD...
just read a review on the x4 and guy said birthsheet said ~140W per channel (so somewhere between 100 and 140 LOL. that will do it for the Kappa's.
the 2 channel threw a really nice thump compared to the other amps...

Alternative would be BT4180... the BT will guarantee you to keep the FM... I cannot guarantee the RF series (the one I tested did not seem to cause issues, but unless we got results back from installs or Vendor will "guarantee", we cannot be 100% sure...
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

UltraNutZ

1 other to check out that will match those kappas well is the NVX amp.  I also agree that if you can afford the 4180, that would be the route to take KMO.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Harleyguy UltraLimited

Thanks guys I will check out the BT I rather not test the unknown amps and go with something that works . Yes from what I've read the Kappas in the rear you suppose to add spacers . Bert who owns the 2015 is going with the Kappas also all around will see what he comes back with .
Proud owner
2014 Ultra Limited

Gnarl78

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 28, 2015, 06:36:27 PM
1 other to check out that will match those kappas well is the NVX amp.  I also agree that if you can afford the 4180, that would be the route to take KMO.
UN - I have the stock HK HU and plan to keep because of the CB. Do you have to set gains with the BT 4180? Would it be worth it (acoustically) to upgrade to a 4180 from a RF PBR300X2 powering a set of Infinity Kappa's 62.11i's in the fairing? Or would I also have to get the BP7.1's to notice any improvement?
'08 FLHTCUSE3, '05 VRSCSE, '03 FXDL
IBA#58965

UltraNutZ

4180 and 2180 do not have gain controls.  The BT speakers are a better speaker no doubt, yes but to say you must upgrade your speakers, no sir.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Gnarl78

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 01, 2015, 06:28:16 AM
4180 and 2180 do not have gain controls.  The BT speakers are a better speaker no doubt, yes but to say you must upgrade your speakers, no sir.

I'm curious of how the 4180/2180 limit/prevent distortion without being able to set gain control? Does the amp do this automatically? I've never heard of anyone having problems with distortion with these amps and that they have a clean sound. I read AAWAV's tests above which were helpful.
'08 FLHTCUSE3, '05 VRSCSE, '03 FXDL
IBA#58965