April 27, 2024, 06:40:29 AM

News:

Installed CVO pods in lowers?

Started by zeke383, January 29, 2015, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeke383

If so how did you route the wiring from the fairing to the highway bar? I'm trying to figure the cleanest routing from the neck area down. Any pictures would be extremely helpful.
I am using the harness that Biketronics made for me, not the OEM one, for what it's worth....
Also, where did you drill through the lowers? The Harley instructions I found for that stated 1" forward and 1/2" up from the mating lip.

AAWAV

No experience with it but can recall seeing and reading: drill hole in the HW bar at the"neck" and 1 at each lower in the HW bar. fish wires thru with a small chain or old metal cloth hanger.
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

zeke383

Quote from: AAWAV on January 29, 2015, 04:24:38 PM
No experience with it but can recall seeing and reading: drill hole in the HW bar at the"neck" and 1 at each lower in the HW bar. fish wires thru with a small chain or old metal cloth hanger.
Oh geez, I'm not looking to do all that. I don't care if I see the wire across the highway bar. I'm more corcerned with where to bring the wiring down the neck. I was toying with the idea of coming under the tank and then down. Maybe I'm overthinking it...

vhmike73

I ran my wires for my lowers along the neck where the wire harness/brake lines run from under the tank. Just ziptied the wire on each side of the neck, one at the edge of the engine guard at the downtubes, and one at the very edge of the lower fairing. I wanted to find some chrome loom/zip ties, but I didn't have any luck and I decided it was good like I did things.

I have no pics, and my bike is 25 miles away in my friend's garage, so I can't snap any right now.

Gannicus

Basically did the same thing as Mike.

vhmike73

Don't be a show-off, Gannicus!!

But to be serious, Zeke- where Gan's neck/downtube has a cover over it (his pic is at crash-bar-level from the throttle side of the bike), you should see your brake lines (if you're on an ABS equipped bike anyway) on the throttle side and a couple of wiring harnesses in the black vinyl sleeves on the clutch side. Snake the speaker wires for each side down along those paths at the neck and down the downtubes to the crash bar, then try to align the wires to the 5:00 position (if looking from the side of the bar) along the crashbar. This will keep the wires from always being visible to you, though as you can se in Gannicus' pic, there really isn't a long run of exposed bar once the lowers are on. Drilling is always another option if you're looking to have the "cleanest" install, but in my case, my lowers are detachable, so my speaker wires have a Weatherpak connector just about the neck area so I can quickly disconnect it all. Not that I have, but I CAN!

Brew61

January 29, 2015, 10:26:45 PM #6 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:28:49 PM by Brew61
quote author=vhmike73 link=topic=79690.msg886834#msg886834 date=1422584304]
I ran my wires for my lowers along the neck where the wire harness/brake lines run from under the tank. Just ziptied the wire on each side of the neck, one at the edge of the engine guard at the downtubes, and one at the very edge of the lower fairing. I wanted to find some chrome loom/zip ties, but I didn't have any luck and I decided it was good like I did things.

I have no pics, and my bike is 25 miles away in my friend's garage, so I can't snap any right now.
[/quote]

Summit Racing is where I bought my Chrome Zip ties

http://www.summitracing.com/int/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=Chrome%20zip%20ties

Bruce
2004 Road King, 110 with S&S 585 Easy Start Cams,HPI 55 mm Thr

Gannicus

Quote from: vhmike73 on January 29, 2015, 08:08:22 PM
Don't be a show-off, Gannicus!!

But to be serious, Zeke- where Gan's neck/downtube has a cover over it (his pic is at crash-bar-level from the throttle side of the bike), you should see your brake lines (if you're on an ABS equipped bike anyway) on the throttle side and a couple of wiring harnesses in the black vinyl sleeves on the clutch side. Snake the speaker wires for each side down along those paths at the neck and down the downtubes to the crash bar, then try to align the wires to the 5:00 position (if looking from the side of the bar) along the crashbar. This will keep the wires from always being visible to you, though as you can se in Gannicus' pic, there really isn't a long run of exposed bar once the lowers are on. Drilling is always another option if you're looking to have the "cleanest" install, but in my case, my lowers are detachable, so my speaker wires have a Weatherpak connector just about the neck area so I can quickly disconnect it all. Not that I have, but I CAN!

LMAO!!  Actually the wires are hidden more so than you see in the picture. I pulled them out a little to better illustrate the route they travel.  Once tucked in you only see about 3 inches of wire at the neck.  I have a chrome Kuryakyn neck cover so the wires are not visible at all on my scoot.  As Mike said you can make it "cleaner" by drilling freakin holes in your roll bar. But I don't think drilling holes adds any value to the appearance.  The 3 inches of wire on the neck won't go away unless you cover it up like I did.

zeke383

I guess I was getting hung up on where the wires run more vertical on the neck but Gannicus confirmed my suspicion. I couldn't find a creative way to hide that part of the run. Oh well, it will probably all blend in when back together.
   Thanks guys