April 27, 2024, 08:42:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

spliting cases

Started by cosmiccowboy, March 20, 2009, 11:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmiccowboy

Starting to tear down the engine on my 47 El. It looks like I need to redo the bushings on the cam shaft. There is a big chunk missing from the inboard bushing collar. My questions, do I need to remove the pistons from the rods before I spilt the cases? It appears the pistons, rings and cylinder bores have just been redone so I'd rather leave them alone until I can see if the crank and flywheels are ok. The reason I went inside the engine is that the case halves had been sealed with some sort of gasket sealer and it oozed out all over the place. I'm thinking that since the pistons and bores are just redone that the lower end was also. The cam chest wasn't buttoned up so I thinking the previous builder was at that point when the project got interupted although inorder to line bore the bushings don"t you need the cases split. I hate taken over where some one else left off.

ricochet

Sounds like you want to split the cases regardless to at least check if there might be excess gasket material in there and do the cam bushings.  I believe you need to have the right case out to line ream any of the bushings.  Also it will be easier to check the condition of the lower end without anything attached to the rod ends.  Have someone help you by holding the cylinders up while you pull the piston pins and leave the pistons in the bores as is.  Recheck everything while in there, pinion and sprocket shaft bearings and both bushings in the cam cover.  Now the time to redo them if necessary.

I think you'll be glad you had a better look inside anyhow. 

ricochet

stroker800

I think the "wondering" or call it being paranoid,,,,,,,,I would have it tore into for that added peice of mind.
Dave

cosmiccowboy

I split the cases anyway and I'm glad I did. There was some damage to the bottom of the case that had been repaired with JB weld. What is the easiest way to remove that so I can get it fixed right?