May 02, 2024, 02:18:44 AM

News:

Valve Noise

Started by LowJack, March 20, 2009, 01:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowJack

How much noise do your valves make? When I bought my scooter (new) I had asked about the valve noise I had. I was told "oh, they all sound like that" lol Its not really loud but is definitely noticeable. Not the rhythmic machine sound I would have expected. More like bolts being shaken round in a can. Is this something I should look into? or is it "normal" 3 years old, 9500 miles , runs great, 2006 XL883, SE air filter, SE exhaust, rejeted, all else stock. Thanks, LowJack

Panzer

March 20, 2009, 03:30:32 PM #1 Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:35:55 AM by Panzer
I know what you mean about the noise, heard some that way.
Mine is an 07' 1200 and not very noisy, but can hear them.
I don't know what oil you're using now but, you might want to try a heavier weight oil.
Your milage is like mine 9,500 but mine is not like the can of rattling bolts.

What are you using for oil, what weight, syn or dino?

Like they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Bigs

I have a '05 1200C and with the stock cam and when it gets hot and on a hard pull it seems to be pretty noisy. Went ot SE Performance cam and adjustables and it seems the same as before as far as the noise goes. On my twin cam it's a lot quieter and it has S&S 510 gear drive cams. The Sportster has 20,000 miles and no problems and I run it like I stole it sometimes. It's nice to beat my neighbors 100hp x 100tq RK.
   Bigs

LowJack

Thanks for the replies, seems to be the nature of the beast. After doing some research I feel that it is normal. From what I understand, The old iron heads sounded a lot worse. Changing oil to something like redline may also help it run quieter.

stro1965

I can tell you that my wife's '09 1200L has a considerably noisier engine than my '07 Ultra.  Less noticeable now though with the Cycle Shacks  :smile: