May 02, 2024, 02:42:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tuning True Dual with a TTS

Started by Scotty, March 20, 2009, 03:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

First try at tuning a set of V&H Dresser Duals on a 09 Ultra with a TTS

The bike also had Andrews 26H cams fitted at the same time as the headers.

Thought there was something wrong with the bike when I first went for a data collection run as it was popping in the exhaust while accellerating and doing all sorts of weird things.

Ran it through v-tune and reloaded the new map then did another run and was better but still lots of cells changed some up to 20+%

After loading the third v-tune map the bike started running good through the gears but took six runs all up until nearly all the cells were white and only a few with very minor tinges of pink.

Now have to do some data runs for knock but it was amazing watching the map change so much for those headers.

Made me think how do some people get away putting those headers on and not tuning  :crook:

FLTRI

This has been a topic of a thread I started a while back as well as points I have tried to make in many threads.

The stock engine management system uses a canned map based on a given "test" mule used to write map said at the factory. This is S.O.P. for production design and development, however since there are virtually no 2 engines and EFI systems that are exactly the same, there are variables that affect the tune such as injector output, port flow, and a plethora of other anomalies built into the tolerances of the components used to build virtually all production engines.

Since we only have 2 cylinders and we sit right on top of the engine, anything that can and does affect the tune will rear its ugly head and usually we will notice imperfect running especially if we have the opportunity to compare to a perfectly tuned bike. We notice pinging on some bikes but not others. We notice accelleration hessitation on some bikes. There are bikes that behave differently when ridden in hot climates compared to others, and the list goes on.

While it would be nice to have an autotune system virtually correct all the variables the canned mapping from the factory cannot, they also have variables can and do affect the tune and are not 100% reliable as to their ability to maintain a given target tune due to these variables that these systems rely on. One such variable is the O2 sensor used for AFR. These sensors are only as reliable as the last calibration check, so unless they are regularly checked they can and do skew the input data perpetuating changes to the AFR that may not be beneficial to performance or mileage. Typically they cause the system to enrichen the mapping as they age.

The present Delphi system used on our Harleys are by far the best solution available to us a users and tuners. When used properly by those who understand them they are the most tunable and reliable systems on the market for our bikes. What TTS has done is made the system tunable for the guy who is willing to spend the time and effort to learn and tune his bike without the aid of a dyno. While there are still advantages to using a dyno to quantify the result and tune WOT and maybe a couple other places where normal riding isn't practical, the end result is a great running bike without huge expense and replacing the entire engine management system that virtually eliminates HD dealers from providing warranty or engine running troubleshooting for a bike that is broke down.

The above is based on my own personal experiences and your may differ,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Scotty

Yes after having used most systems on the market the TTS is the best I have seen for the end user without a dyno.

Pretty simple to use just need some time and a steady hand on the throttle an you can make a map over a few days with no stress and you get to ride while you are doing it.  :teeth:

Sailor285

Scotty ..I had the same experience as you..Andrews 26 and Fulsac true duals...After the 2nd run wow what a difference...I ended up doing 4 runs on mine...I love the TTS!!! I've had the Andrews 26 in 2 other bikes..both carbed..and I gotta say they never performed as well as this 08 RG with the TTS!!! I was very happy with them but this FI with closed loop and the TTS is even better!!!! How do you like ur 26's?

Dan

Scotty

The Andrews 26 I have run before in a 88" & 95" and it is a great cam for these 96" touring bikes for sure.

kevmac

I've been tuning mine with tts and rinehart true duels and am having trouble with the 2500-3000 range where the popular t/d dip is. any tips for increasing response in that area?
thanx kevin
07 RK 103 bob wright heads, wt4d, and so on.
05 custom chop 113ci 10
98 fatbo

FLTRI

Quote from: kevmac on March 31, 2009, 02:39:49 PM
I've been tuning mine with tts and rinehart true duels and am having trouble with the 2500-3000 range where the popular t/d dip is. any tips for increasing response in that area?
thanx kevin
A little more info:
What year and model bike?
Are you using TTS V-tune (closed loop) to tune your bike?
Does your bike feel "dead" in the 2500-3000 rpm range?
do you have any way to measure AFR, or are you working from SOP feel?
What cams do you have?
Any other mods?
Have you had the bike on a dyno to quantify the lack of response?
Answer these questions and maybe we can help,
Bob Lobenberg
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

kevmac

just doing ve runs on tts. 103 heads tc4c 10.3 comp. doesnt feel dead, just a little sluggish
05 custom chop 113ci 10
98 fatbo

Steve Cole

What are the V-tune records showing in this area that your not happy with so far?
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

kevmac

steve, there is a dip in the front VE 2500-2750 @ 10 tps it drops from 95- 87 and 7 tps 92 to 82.   it seems 2750 drops across the board.
05 custom chop 113ci 10
98 fatbo

kevmac

05 custom chop 113ci 10
98 fatbo

Steve Cole

Are the cells colored in those areas?

kevmac

green mostly in that area,maybe its normal but in the 2500-3000 and 7-10 tps area the rear is way ahead of the front, no where else is the VE very far apart.Sometimes 10-12 points,
05 custom chop 113ci 10
98 fatbo

Steve Cole

What you need to look at is the color on the VTune chart prior to saving the new calibration. These will range from White to Red. That's the color I am asking about in the range your having issues with.