2015 RGS amp install recap - clean output level Rushmore HU

Started by AAWAV, February 03, 2015, 07:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAWAV

Last night I helped ShagyLuke with dialing in his NVX NVPA4 4 channel amp on his 2015 RGS. he had his HU already flashed
he did not want to cut into his harness, so had V-Twin cables but those did not provide signal lines for the rear speakers so I connected the L and R from the rushmore HU to the amp parallel.
he had lowers (HD originals). 4 infinity's 62.11i.
Determined distortion volume level of the HU > it is clean up to 10 "dots". at eleven the amp was clipping
Dialed in amp while bike running (came out to same level I found during my test on the "bike bench"). 92W at 2 ohm
Now the most interesting part... Amp placement.
Geez - never worked on a shark nose but that is tight in there.
the best place to put an amp is UNDER the stock HU IMHO
I did not have other amps with me to try/dry fit but to me it seems BT4180 MIGHT fit. nvx fits. 2180 IMO will fit.
you WILL need to create a bracket (L shape). the fairing bracket has 2 holes on the left side of the bike (sitting on it!) underneath the HU, you can use these to bold the bracket. Then use velcro on amp and the bracket (amp will hangon the bracket, not sit!!!!!!!).
use a zip tie for security and you should be good. there is "no way" to get to the gains so dial in, stick it in and leave it.
on the gains on the NVX, they are sitting at about 11 o'clock for stock speaker level output. so gain at minimum, turn from 7 o'clock to 11 (that's it due to speaker level outputs).
amp sound good and "loud" with the kappa's... can it go louder.... yes, for sure... my ride compared with his, I know who will win .
but the 62.11i's sound crisp and there was some bass as well (not the strongest point of the kappa's as we know).
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

UltraNutZ

i think what you're seeing with the 5 - 6 w of power is the DSP altering the outputs. 
What flash did Shagy have done?
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

scooterroid

*snip
"I saw about 5-6 Watts!!!! coming out of the stocker. so much for the 25 watts right."

Did you mean 5-6 volts?

Scoots

AAWAV

5/6 wats not volt

Nutz - need to check with Shagy. I asked him if he got is flashed - he said yes (for free).
sound did not sound weird to me...

should be 8 channel/speaker no amp right? let me double check with him

AAWAV

scooterroid

Please don't get defensive but I'm not understanding the numbers.

@2 ohms
5 watts from the head unit is ~3.1 volts
5 volts from the head unit is ~ 12.5 watts

Are you saying at 10 clicks the HD head unit is putting out 5 watts?

Scoots

shagyluke

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 03, 2015, 07:50:06 AM
i think what you're seeing with the 5 - 6 w of power is the DSP altering the outputs. 
What flash did Shagy have done?

The flash that I got was 4 speakers because when they put in my VIN# into the computer that does the flash there is not an option for 8 speakers. The flash also says "Installed amp" Yes or No and we selected yes. There is no option for fader but I do have it when we checked last night so I am assuming that when you flash for 4 speakers it turns on fader automatically.
"I say Grace, and I say Ma'am, If you aint in to that I don't give a damn.

AAWAV

Quote from: scooterroid on February 03, 2015, 09:38:27 AM
Please don't get defensive but I'm not understanding the numbers.

@2 ohms
5 watts from the head unit is ~3.1 volts
5 volts from the head unit is ~ 12.5 watts

Are you saying at 10 clicks the HD head unit is putting out 5 watts?

Scoots

I STAND CORRECTED - HU was not sending out Speaker Level signal anymore due to the flash. my bad... I am only "human" too...
Ask Shagy... I was a bit messed up last night for the first hour or so... and no, I was not drinking... :smilep:
removed note on amp watts in post 1

dirtracin23

Told ya it was a b!tch putting an amp in there. Even worse when ya have OCD.  :-)
A cold beer, a hot woman, and a fast Harley
What else could a man possibly need?

scooterroid

The way I look it is the more people there are working on the Rushmore HU issues the better. Better yet if we all share our experiences.

BTW: The Soundstream 2-channel amp also fits in the 2015 Road Glide fairing underneath the radio. And it's a great value at less than $100.

Scoots

shagyluke

You know to be honest. The loudness is 1000 times better after the amp and speaker install,,,,, But I was expecting to have way more sound quality than I have. Last night in the garage it sounded awesome but after riding a good hour today and hitting a lot of 80 MPH on the HWY I am getting FM Interference as the stations are there they just seem to loose channel every so often. I think the fader would be nice also because I can barely hear the lowers it seems like. I might have to buy AAWAV a steak dinner and get his help again with the parallel hook up and see if I can get a little better Amp that will make those speaker's sing to my liking... "Its just money right"

Boat = Bust out another thousand

HOG = hastefully outcast Greenbacks

Gannicus

Hmmm If the soundstream 350.D will fit so will the power acoustic RZ2-1300D.

AAWAV

pics from ShagyLuke - he does not know how to upload LOL

piece of velcro you see is only there to act like a "bumper" in case the amp "bounces" up and down and hit the fairing bracket

[attach=0]

shagyluke

Quote from: AAWAV on February 03, 2015, 03:16:28 PM

I can skin a Buck and run a trout line.. If you aint into that, I don't give a danm.. See if you can figure that one out AAWAV

UltraNutZ

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

AAWAV

Quote from: shagyluke on February 03, 2015, 03:52:08 PM
Quote from: AAWAV on February 03, 2015, 03:16:28 PM

I can skin a Buck and run a trout line.. If you aint into that, I don't give a danm.. See if you can figure that one out AAWAV

nope - not a freaking clue... and I did not google it....

shagyluke

Quote from: shagyluke on February 03, 2015, 01:11:24 PM
You know to be honest. The loudness is 1000 times better after the amp and speaker install,,,,, But I was expecting to have way more sound quality than I have. Last night in the garage it sounded awesome but after riding a good hour today and hitting a lot of 80 MPH on the HWY I am getting FM Interference as the stations are there they just seem to loose channel every so often. I think the fader would be nice also because I can barely hear the lowers it seems like. I might have to buy AAWAV a steak dinner and get his help again with the parallel hook up and see if I can get a little better Amp that will make those speaker's sing to my liking... "Its just money right"

So I have been riding about all day as its 70* today and I had a lot of running around t do. I have to say that the sound and loudness of this new set up is growing on me. I just rode out to Jean, NV which is about 30 minute ride and I cant say that I heard my pipes very much at all doing 85 down the HWY. Might have to keep this for a while untill the 4180 is confirmed that it will fit under my HU.

shagyluke

4180 arrived today.. whoohoo!!!! I know what I will be doing next week. Too busy this weekend or I would start on it tonight. I will probably be a little antsy this weekend but gota make babydoll happy. Happy wife=happy life..:)

AAWAV

Call me second part next week if you got issues.  A jetlagging greet from amsterdam... from bro his garage. Lined up all the goodies including the rz4 and 62.11i s for install today BEFORE first day of partying aka drinking a lot of beer.