May 05, 2024, 10:49:57 PM

News:

battery tender

Started by jd8181, March 20, 2009, 06:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd8181

i was just wondering if you guys just hook your battery up to your battery tender all the time you are not riding your bike?? or if you just hook it up if you are storing you bike for awhile?? and if so how long do you have to not ride you bike to hook it up to the battery tender??
2003 Night Train 95" SE Pistons, S&S Cams, Hooker's , SERT, etc....
What's Next

specialx1

just habit for me , i use it all the time! :beer:
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

ramv102000

It's part of the routine. Turn off the petcock, lock the ignition switch and the fork lock, plug in the tender.
Randy

Bigs

I hookup my Tender Plus to my RG if I'm not going to be riding it for 3 or 4 weeks or when we go on vacation. On my '05 Sportster I usually put the Tender Plus on about every 4 or 5 months since I don't ride it in cold weather. The carb models don't use up the battery like the fuel injected models do.
   Bigs

hotham

I get amazing life from my batteries and I believe it is because I always use the tender.  Since we live in the country, I use a tender on everything  { Lawn tractor, back-up generator and both bikes }

Six Blues

All the time. I have the tender plugged into a switched outlet next to the bike. I just plug it into the bike and turn it on. It takes less than a minute.

Ultrashovel

Absolutely keep it on all of the time. They are designed to keep the battery up and then "float" up and down to maintain the voltage at around 13.2 volts DC.

I have three Battery Tenders. One on my bike. One on my lawn tractor and one on a spare battery in my shop that I use for 12 volt dc testing on electronics. All of the batteries are several years old. The battery tender will save you $$$$$.

Bigs

Something I think might be better than the Battery Tender is the Battery Minder. It is also has a float mode but also has the pulse mode to keep the battery plates from getting a buildup. I have been using them on my motorhome batteries for years and I have never had a problem. They cost about the same as the Battery Tender Plus. They also have the same plug and battery clips as the Tender.
   Bigs

Topend

Year before last I had a new battery & something went wrong with my tender plus & it cooked my battery over the winter. A friend of mine warned me that might happen but I had never heard of that before so I kept it on all winter season. I still use it but now I  plug it into an extra timer I have to kick on for about 2 to 3 hours a day when stored or on vacation etc.. I have not had any more problems like that again.
Topend95
95 cu in, Andrews 37,  Supertrapp mufflers, 42mm Mikuni, SE/Heads, Crane 4HTC

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Bigs on March 20, 2009, 07:11:55 PM
Something I think might be better than the Battery Tender is the Battery Minder. It is also has a float mode but also has the pulse mode to keep the battery plates from getting a buildup. I have been using them on my motorhome batteries for years and I have never had a problem. They cost about the same as the Battery Tender Plus. They also have the same plug and battery clips as the Tender.
   Bigs

I was speaking generically. There is more than one brand of battery tender. Other than pulse, they mostly work in the same way.

04glide

I have never used one. I just replaced my battery after 5 years. I do ride everyday though unless it pouring down rain and thats not very often.

Ultrashovel

Quote from: 04glide on March 20, 2009, 10:21:10 PM
I have never used one. I just replaced my battery after 5 years. I do ride everyday though unless it pouring down rain and thats not very often.

If you ride every day, you don't need a battery tender. Not everyone does that, although we wish we could.

xxxflhrci

Never used on and don't ride every day.  My bike sat idle for 2 months this winter and fired right up.  My batteries seem to last.  The first in the RKC had 5 years/52k miles on it when I replaced it outta paranoia.  The second one is going one 5 years old and still doing it's job.

Topend

I would think that storage in a colder climate would affect the battery more without a tender connected than a milder climate, my .02
Topend95
95 cu in, Andrews 37,  Supertrapp mufflers, 42mm Mikuni, SE/Heads, Crane 4HTC

Ultrashovel

Quote from: xxxflhrci on March 21, 2009, 02:27:24 AM
Never used on and don't ride every day.  My bike sat idle for 2 months this winter and fired right up.  My batteries seem to last.  The first in the RKC had 5 years/52k miles on it when I replaced it outta paranoia.  The second one is going one 5 years old and still doing it's job.

You obviously have some bike other than an UUltra-Classic The security system and radio backup on my bike draw enough current (milliamps) to pull the battery down in a week.

You are leading a charmed life, at least with regard to batteries...... :pop:

Bladesmith

FYI......Harbor Frieght sells a good Battery tender often for $5.00....I've been using them for years with no problems.....my $.02
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

Coyote

Quote from: Ultrashovel on March 21, 2009, 07:03:28 AM

You obviously have some bike other than an UUltra-Classic The security system and radio backup on my bike draw enough current (milliamps) to pull the battery down in a week.

You got something wrong if that's the case. My 07 ultra can sit for weeks (though it rarely does) and I can put the tender on and it blinks almost full immediately. And in addition to all the stock equipment, I have an added wireless key fob for my bag locks drawing some juice.

Justpassingas

same as whats been said here.....when I'm not riding its on the tender wether its overnite or a couple months during the winter
For Duty and Humanity

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Coyote on March 21, 2009, 10:16:06 AM
Quote from: Ultrashovel on March 21, 2009, 07:03:28 AM

You got something wrong if that's the case. My 07 ultra can sit for weeks (though it rarely does) and I can put the tender on and it blinks almost full immediately. And in addition to all the stock equipment, I have an added wireless key fob for my bag locks drawing some juice.

Nothing wrong with my bike.

PoorUB

With my '05 Ultra I notice it does not crank over as fast when it has sat for 3-4 weeks, without the Battery Tender. If I forget the battery Tender, then plug in in after it has sat for a week or two it does take some time to charge back up. After a couple months without the Battery Tender it will barely crank over. Been that way since new.
I wonder if the change in the radio on the '06 bikes has something to do with it. Perhaps the '06 radio uses less power to store the memory.
I use the Battery Tender only when the bike is going to sit for more than a couple weeks. Normally I ride darned near every day so I don't bother then.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

Quote from: PoorUB on March 21, 2009, 01:37:27 PM

With my '05 Ultra I notice it does not crank over as fast when it has sat for 3-4 weeks, without the Battery Tender. If I forget the battery Tender, then plug in in after it has sat for a week or two it does take some time to charge back up. After a couple months without the Battery Tender it will barely crank over. Been that way since new.
I wonder if the change in the radio on the '06 bikes has something to do with it. Perhaps the '06 radio uses less power to store the memory.
I use the Battery Tender only when the bike is going to sit for more than a couple weeks. Normally I ride darned near every day so I don't bother then.

A month is a bit different than a week. If a battery is going dead in a week, something ain't right. Just sayin..

RK101

In the warmer months I never use it because I ride almost everywhere I go, and the bike never sits for more than a day or two. In the colder months I use it all the time. Like many others, it's my belief that it extends the life of the battery if it's on the tender in colder weather riding or not.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H