April 28, 2024, 08:24:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

is there a better amp ?

Started by tdgriff, February 06, 2015, 03:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdgriff

I am running all BT speakers 7.1 pro in fairing and BT 6×9s in lids. I stopped in at the local stereo shop today and they had 4 bike they were working on. I saw a set up just like mine except the amp. They had a JL amp hook up to it and it blew my system away. I have the BT 4 channel amp. They told me to get rid of it and go with the new JL Marine amp when it comes out. They told me they would install it and If I did not like it they would put the BT amp back in for free. I have worked with this company for years and I trust them. My question is why would BT not make an amp to match up with their speakers? Is there really a better amp out there to match up with this system? Not nocking BT in anyway. Just a question.

ALUCARD19

Did you go to the JL website it would be interesting to see how they fit their amps into the batwing fairing the sizes are not small enough to fit.
The specs are not any better than the BT amp in fact they are less.
I think your system out on the road would be better.
"A Hole is a Hole is a Hole",  Where Eagles Dare
         AMA Life Member #35524

AAWAV

P lot sound and highway sound are 2 different things... my 2 cents...
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

Gnarl78

JL has some nice amps, but I don't know of any powerful ones that can be installed under the fairing.
'08 FLHTCUSE3, '05 VRSCSE, '03 FXDL
IBA#58965

tdgriff

JL has a new Marine amp coming out. Its the size of a IPhone. They were testing the amp before they sell it. I have to say it sounds great. I understand the sitting still versus riding. It was very loud and clear all the way up .

Biketronics Inc

Quote from: tdgriff on February 06, 2015, 03:04:56 PM
I am running all BT speakers 7.1 pro in fairing and BT 6×9s in lids. I stopped in at the local stereo shop today and they had 4 bike they were working on. I saw a set up just like mine except the amp. They had a JL amp hook up to it and it blew my system away. I have the BT 4 channel amp. They told me to get rid of it and go with the new JL Marine amp when it comes out. They told me they would install it and If I did not like it they would put the BT amp back in for free. I have worked with this company for years and I trust them. My question is why would BT not make an amp to match up with their speakers? Is there really a better amp out there to match up with this system? Not nocking BT in anyway. Just a question.

Hi,

This is one of those threads I am a little leery to ask questions in, please take this as me gathering information from a curious tech standpoint, not anything else.  JL Audio makes some really great products and I try to buy anything that will fit on a bike to test and learn from.  Do you know what head unit was on both systems?  And what JL amp they had and if it fit in the fairing? Also what source was playing and what speakers on the other bike?

Thanks,

Bill
1-800-735-2419

tdgriff

Quote from: Biketronics Inc. on February 07, 2015, 10:34:54 AM
Quote from: tdgriff on February 06, 2015, 03:04:56 PM

Hi,

This is one of those threads I am a little leery to ask questions in, please take this as me gathering information from a curious tech standpoint, not anything else.  JL Audio makes some really great products and I try to buy anything that will fit on a bike to test and learn from.  Do you know what head unit was on both systems?  And what JL amp they had and if it fit in the fairing? Also what source was playing and what speakers on the other bike?

Thanks,

Bill
thanks Bill they had 7.1 pros and your 6×9s and a Kenwood 798 . The amp is a new amp out . It has not hit the street yet. It will be available in a month. Bill I love my BT  stuff but .

tdgriff

Bill it was on CD shooter Jennings. The amp I do not have a model number its black one end has all the wires coming out the other end has the adjustments on it. They told me to bring mine in and swap out amps and see what I think.

Biketronics Inc

Quote from: tdgriff on February 07, 2015, 05:03:30 PM
Bill it was on CD shooter Jennings. The amp I do not have a model number its black one end has all the wires coming out the other end has the adjustments on it. They told me to bring mine in and swap out amps and see what I think.

Sounds interesting, please keep us updated if you try it.  I have not seen a 4 channel that fits in the fairing and pushes a bunch of speakers like our 4180, but I have not tried everything and new stuff comes out all the time.  Just make sure you try it on the road, I can crank the gains up on my amp so it is crazy loud sitting still, but it will lose clarity and distort at highway speeds.  If you end up keeping the new one contact me about your 4180 and we can try to work something out.

Bill
1-800-735-2419

tdgriff

Quote from: Biketronics Inc. on February 07, 2015, 07:40:29 PM
Quote from: tdgriff on February 07, 2015, 05:03:30 PM

Sounds interesting, please keep us updated if you try it.  I have not seen a 4 channel that fits in the fairing and pushes a bunch of speakers like our 4180, but I have not tried everything and new stuff comes out all the time.  Just make sure you try it on the road, I can crank the gains up on my amp so it is crazy loud sitting still, but it will lose clarity and distort at highway speeds.  If you end up keeping the new one contact me about your 4180 and we can try to work something out.

Bill
Thanks Bill . Next time I get to their shop If the demo bike is opend up I will try and take a pic of it . The JL amp is not available to the public yet just surten vendors. I will get back to you on this Thanks again .

mtrhead269

Bill

I heard a demo of the new JL mini amp in SoCal Friday , amp was in a Dyna fairing and a street glide fairing ,

In the Dyna no head unit bluetooth controller and Rockfosgate 6.5"s
In the SG S100 head unit, music through a smartphone powering two JL Audio 8.8"s

Heard hip hop Big B and Metal Five Finger Death Punch. Iprefer the Hertz sound to the Rockfords
The JL's sounded clean .

z71_fourwheelin

Could it be this one....  JL Audio HD600/4: 4 Ch. Class D Full-Range Amplifier
Kw X598, SS 4.520, 4x MM651

mtrhead269

Quote from: z71_fourwheelin on February 08, 2015, 07:40:47 AM

JX400/4V

tdgriff

Quote from: mtrhead269 on February 08, 2015, 07:59:23 AM
Quote from: z71_fourwheelin on February 08, 2015, 07:40:47 AM

JX400/4V
it could be looks like it .

JerryK73

HX280/4?
http://www.jlaudio.com/hx280-4-car-audio-hx-amplifiers-98401

HX280/4

4-Channel Class D Full-Range Amplifier, 70 W x 4 @ 2 Ω / 50 W x 4 @ 4 Ω - 14.4V

Engineered specifically for powersports applications, the 4-channel HX280/4 amplifier employs our high-speed NexD™ switching design to deliver plenty of clean power, without straining charging systems. Its tiny, cast aluminum chassis is highly resistant to corrosion, with an IPX6 water-resistance rating, making it perfect for motorcycles, ATV's or other utility vehicles.

Generating a solid 50W x 4 into 4 ohms (14.4V, 1% THD), the HX280/4 is fully bridgeable, so it can be used as a 3-channel amplifier, or as a 2-channel amplifier producing a potent 140W x 2 into 4 ohms.

Other features include independent front and rear crossovers with selectable full-range, high-pass or low-pass filter controls and a dual-range input section that accepts a wide range of input voltage levels, from line-level all the way to high-power speaker level signals.

This amplifier features a black powder-coated finish, a gasketed cover for the controls and stainless steel hardware for durability.

Gannicus

Ok Griff - The JOKE is over!! LOL  No way JL's got an amp small enough to fit in the fairing that blows the 4180 away??  Do you have any more information on said amp?

tdgriff

Quote from: Gannicus on February 09, 2015, 02:12:56 AM
Ok Griff - The JOKE is over!! LOL  No way JL's got an amp small enough to fit in the fairing that blows the 4180 away??  Do you have any more information on said amp?
LOl I am just going off of what I heard. When I get back in town I am going to take my BT 4180 to them and hook it up in their test bike. I know what your thinking I did not loose it . I was shocked maybe they have their head unit dialed in better.

haze324

I don't anything about this amp....but I remember showing up to bike night a while back with my PBR300X2 and Kappa's blasting and a friend pulled up and holy cow was his "Potty mouth" whas his stuff loud and crisp.  he tell me, I'm not really sure of my set up...I know it's a JL Audio amp with Soundstream speakers and tweeters in place of the guages.  I thought to myself "soundstream 6.5's????"  either way, moral of the story is that the JL amp was pumping some super clear and crisp tunes.  My guess is that this amp sounds great as well, obvious test is how it sounds on the road. 

Neat amp at that size though if it has JL quality sound at 140x2 @4ohm.