May 05, 2024, 11:13:54 PM

News:

spinover with fire but doesn't crank

Started by hopcycle, March 21, 2009, 06:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopcycle

Long story short. 2001 sporty came in with cam cover off and cams with chewed up gears handed to me in a helmet.  Owner says and by the way "I been trying to get it to crank for a month."  So I pull the rockers put new Andrews N8 cams in and button back up.  Bike wont crank.  Went thru normal checks and it has fire to and through plugs.  Ended up pulling the hi-4 ignition, put in points and advance weights.  Still spins and not firing.  Compression gage shows good compression. Pulled carb and cleaned slow jet and you can see gas when twisting throttle.  Engine with compression, fire and gas but won't run!!!! Any Ideas?  Thanks

Panzer

March 21, 2009, 09:48:57 AM #1 Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:42:33 AM by Panzer
Just read your post for the third time.
The thing that keeps popping in my head it "TIMING".
Don't roll your eyes when I ask, is the timing correct?........Just asking.
Back to basics........if you have fire, compression, fuel (not stale fuel) and the timing is correct, shes gotta run.......considering all else is ok.

I'd try a little starter fluid straight into the intake.
If she fires, it's the fuel.

I'd like to hear an update from you.
I'll keep checking.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

hopcycle

Hi Panzer and Thanks for your time.  I kept saying it should fire too.  Had me doubting myself.  Repulled cover to verify 4 cams timed correct and they were.  Static timed the points since I can't get it to fire and use light.  I'm wondering about the gas too.  I'll grab some starter fluid and shoot her up monday.

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

hopcycle

Update Panzer.  Starting fluid is not helping.  I'm like you on the sounds like timing, but I've verified timing marks on 4 gears to pinion.  Whats the odds woodruff key sheared and the pinion is off time with the crank?  I haven't repulled the cover, yanked cams and pulled pinion to check that.  Do you know an easier check?

mayor

I would almost think if the compression gauge is showing good compression that the cam timing could be ruled out.  I think Panzer was talking about ignition timing.  You could have spark but be in the wrong place (probably not a good thing if still dual fire).  Have you thought about trying a stock ignition module? 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

hopcycle

Hi Mayor.  Might dig through parts bin and see if I can round up a stock ignition.  However, had removed a Crane Hi-4 and it has a breaker points ignition in it right now and doesn't try to fire at any adjustment.  (started with it static timed, which should have been close enough to fire up)  Thanks for your thoughts, Hopcycle

mayor

so spark (at the plugs), and gas, and compression yet motor does not go vroom?  does it sound at all like it's trying to catch at all?  did you check compression in both cylinders? what was the ccp?   I would be concerned with bent valves if the cam gears were chewed up.  Wouldn't take much for the exhaust valve to hit a piston, depending on what cams were in there originally.   
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

hopcycle

Update!  There is life.  Kept going back to the timing.  After real close examination, found firing was 90 deg off.  Dug through take off parts and found 6 other sets of advance weights with all locator pin in correct location.  Installed and she fired up on first spin!!!!!  Seems like everytime I work on someones bike that brings me parts in a bag (that I didn't order for them) I get bit.  Of course I have to be fully honest here.  I thought all those advance plates were the same big twin and sportsters.