April 27, 2024, 11:41:57 AM

News:

Poly Fill Mat For Speaker Install

Started by HDMG, February 08, 2015, 07:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDMG

I noticed a few threads talking about wrapping poly fill around your fairing speakers.
Some replies stating "not too much though".

What would be the recommended amount (thickness)?

What is the best way to secure it?
Cable ties, string?
A few detailed pictures would be really appreciated.

I am looking to buy the Biketronics 7.1 pro package with the 2180 amp as part of the group buy.

Thanks in advance

Coyote

This is what Nutz has me get. I got mine on Amazon because it was easier than driving to WMart.

PolyFil

[attach=0]

Breeze

Today I took my firs ride since I installed "Boom Mat" speaker baffles on my bike ($12 Amazon).  I'm not an audio guy, but I can tell the speakers sound better, maybe more bass.  The baffles are just foam containers that slip around the speakers.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: HDMG on February 08, 2015, 07:39:26 AM
I noticed a few threads talking about wrapping poly fill around your fairing speakers.
Some replies stating "not too much though".

What would be the recommended amount (thickness)?

What is the best way to secure it?
Cable ties, string?
A few detailed pictures would be really appreciated.

I am looking to buy the Biketronics 7.1 pro package with the 2180 amp as part of the group buy.

Thanks in advance

yes it's beneficial but also too much is just as bad as not enough.  What I've found to work best for most any full-range 6" - 7.25" speaker is 3 thin layers (maybe 1" thick total) wrapped around each speaker.  On the batwings, I don't use anything to hold it in place as one you tuck it into the adapter rings, it will stay put with the fairing cap on.  The RG fairings, you'll want to use some zip ties (or similar) to hold it in place there.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

HDMG

Thanks for the replies and the pictures guys.

vafatboy1

There's no way I can get that onto my Titan II's.  The outside edge of the speaker barely touches the inner side if the outer fairing now.

UltraNutZ

is this a stock fairing vafatboy1?  reason I ask is those Titan IIs (6.5") should not be touching the outer fairing.

do you have some other material in there like the foam stuff J&M sells?

ALUCARD19

February 11, 2015, 06:11:36 AM #8 Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:14:37 AM by ALUCARD19
Is the poly fill matting better or as good as XTC 6-1/2" Foam Speaker Baffle -VXT60 deep baffle fits large frame 6 1/2" 1pr they have these on ebay for $10.00 I was just wondering if it is any good or just better to go with the poly fill.
This will be going over my BT7P1 speakers in my upper fairing.
"A Hole is a Hole is a Hole",  Where Eagles Dare
         AMA Life Member #35524

UltraNutZ

it's synthetic vs dino oil.. use whatever you're comfortable with.  IME, polyfil is better.

vafatboy1

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 11, 2015, 06:05:28 AM
is this a stock fairing vafatboy1?  reason I ask is those Titan IIs (6.5") should not be touching the outer fairing.

do you have some other material in there like the foam stuff J&M sells?

Stock fairing. Installed with BT adapter rings only. No other material.

The magnet just touches enough to scuff it   

rageglide

UltraNutZ

doesn't do the same thing but yes you can use it.

Jaycee1964

This is what I use.  Speaker baffles.  Keeps the elements off the speakers as well as enhancing the sound quality.  Used them for years on cars as well.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT652/XTC-6-1-2-Speaker-Baffles-Slim-line-2-3-8-depth.html?tp=2809&awkw=75735300985&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=48387289705&awdv=c
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.