April 27, 2024, 04:06:03 PM

News:

2004 Stock HU

Started by PahaSapa, February 08, 2015, 11:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PahaSapa

Need a little help. I want to upgrade my audio system. I am going with RF PBR 300x2, infinity kappa's. I really can't afford a new HU right now with all the install needed. My question is will the stock HU function OK with this set up ? I know a new HU would complete the system and sound  better. The stock HU pushes 8 ohm speakers now. Is that a problem with the new amp and speakers?

Gannicus

No Sir. After you incorporate the amp into your system the Amp becomes the driver of your speakers.  The PBR300X2 will be driving your infinity's at 2 ohms.

UltraNutZ

Gannicus is correct.  Once you add an amp into the mix, the impedance for speakers to the head unit become null and you would then match your speakers to the amp.

This is actually a fairly easy/cost-effective upgrade that will put a smile on your face.

you'll need the amp, speakers, fairing adapter rings, about 12' of 10ga power wire for battery and ground, a fuse holder, maybe '4 of 16ga speaker wire.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

PahaSapa

Thank you both for info. One more ?  Why do you recommend HU's with 4V outputs. I am looking at the Kenwood KDC bt318 which only has 2.5V. Found it for $90, which I like. No plans on going to more than fairing speakers.

UltraNutZ

if you're not going to be installing an amp and also using the RCA inputs, then it really doesn't matter but to answer your question;

2v vs 4v simply means (in layman terms) that the gains on your amp will not have to be turned up as high with 4v outputs as it will with 2v outputs to achieve the same volume.  What this correlates to is signal to noise ratio (less with 4v than with 2v).  The less SNR you have, the cleaner your output of the amp.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons