April 28, 2024, 08:08:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New J & M Amp killing the volume

Started by kd, February 10, 2015, 05:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

A buddy bought a J & M Amp for his 2007 Street Glide. He had it for a while and when he finally got around to installing it there was no volume. He says you can hear it faintly but when you disconnect it and return it to the factory no amp condition all's good. He has it removed right now and was going to take it to an electronics shop to see if the could find a problem with it. He doesn't have a schematic so I told him there was this new section in the forum that seemed to be right on the money with the aftermarket electronics for Harleys.

Does anyone here know what could cause this type of problem in the J & M amps? Is there anything we can try to get this amp cooking before taking it to an electronics guy we know? Maybe there is someone else to consider for repair. If he does have to go the local route, what is the best way to get a schematic for the shop to use? It is a new amp but he sat on it for a while before installing it and doesn't think they will consider warrantee.

Any help would be appreciated.
KD

Harleyguy UltraLimited

To be perfectly honest and you decide what to do give John a call and see what he says. Did you check basic things first good ground and power to the amp ? And don't count on any warranty
Proud owner
2014 Ultra Limited

smiley1049

I had installed a amp in my bike and had same concern found out that the settings on the amp were turned up turned them down and everything worked

UltraNutZ

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

kd

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 10, 2015, 07:47:56 PM
what model amp is it?

I knew I should have asked that. I'm on the road working so I sent him an email for the info.
Quote from: smiley1049 on February 10, 2015, 07:40:16 PM
I had installed a amp in my bike and had same concern found out that the settings on the amp were turned up turned them down and everything worked

Are these settings accessible to someone (that is not an electronics guy but was a phone and communications tech) to adjust?

Quote from: Harleyguy UltraLimited on February 10, 2015, 06:50:16 PM
To be perfectly honest and you decide what to do give John a call and see what he says. Did you check basic things first good ground and power to the amp ? And don't count on any warranty

So I take it " John" is the J in J&M?  I am sure the ground, power and other leads were checked but I'll confirm. The reason I'm enquiring here is because we know it's not reasonable to expect warrantee at this time even though it's the first install. :embarrassed:

Thanks so much for the responses folks. This'll cheer my buddy up and it just strengthens my belief that this is the best Harley tech site ever with the widest selection of people in the know.   :beer:
KD

kd

I want to thank UltraNutz for my friend Warren. Everything is great now. The tips you sent me worked and by buddy is thrilled at how this site helped him. Thanks to the others that took the time to respond also.

KD

UltraNutZ

Quote from: kd on February 12, 2015, 04:23:08 PM
I want to thank UltraNutz for my friend Warren. Everything is great now. The tips you sent me worked and by buddy is thrilled at how this site helped him. Thanks to the others that took the time to respond also.

like it when things work out nicely.  Those settings that J&M tries to hide from everyone will get you sometimes... :up:

Coyote

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

UltraNutZ

just so everyone knows.. this is what I sent kd in a PM less my smartazz comment about J&M controlling the amps that you paid good money for.

"hey bud.. that amp has a plastic cover on the top of it just to the left of the fan.  Under that plastic cover are adjustments that J&M thinks should not be fooled with by the end user

Have your buddy pull that plastic cover off (he can put it back on after he's done)

The factory settings from ARC Audio are
Input Level - Low
Auto Sense - On
Gains Front and Rear, Left and Right should be set by your buddy.  I would start with each one being in a midway position
Output - Front and Rear - Full or High depending on install.  Full works 99.9% of the time for most.  He does NOT want it to be set to low.
Bass Boost - I would set at minimum setting otherwise he'll tear up just about any 6.5" speaker in short fashion.
Crossover settings - as long as Output above is set to Full, then the crossovers are by-passed.  Again this is something he can play with himself between Full and High."

shagyluke

Good Info UN.. I am sure that the owners of a J&M amp appreciate it very much. I am happy I am not one of them. :smilep:

"I say Grace, and I say Ma'am, If you aint in to that I don't give a damn.

kd

This was my buddies response. It will shed some light on what the fix was and the likely reason for the problem. He reinstalled it and this what he found.

YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the input level. It's a tiny button that sits in or out (push once stays in, push again pops out)

could easily have been touched during install. It's not marked which way is which.

Thanks a bunch to you and your pals, please thank them for me.
KD

Gannicus

LOL. . .Just so every one knows NUTZ is THE man!

Coyote