April 27, 2024, 04:15:16 PM

News:

Should we hold off ?

Started by Harleyguy UltraLimited, February 10, 2015, 06:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harleyguy UltraLimited

I'm concerned at this point investing in a new amp I decided to get the BT 4180 on the group buy but with all the posts about having issues with the dealer flash if I and others should hold off until it gets squared away . I guess I could also buy the amp and wait to install it until I know what flash to use . Any thoughts are appreciated
Proud owner
2014 Ultra Limited

Lowglidin

It is becoming a headache for sure. I just ordered my Kappas tonight. I am still trying to figure out what amp gies under the fairing while holding on to FM Stations.   BT is a great option, I just don't want to spend that much.  I am going to have mine flashed this weekend.

Bertk

See what Bill at BT has to say.

I have the 4 Kappa 62.11i and the PN4.520D amp installed and am going to hold off with the flash for now.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Lowglidin

bertk,

Where is your amp installed???   Fairing or bags?

Bertk

Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

shagyluke

Bert,

I installed my 4 Kappas and installed my NVX and flashed my bike. I can tell you that it is night and day difference. I can also tell you that its not as good as it should be. I don't think you will be dis-satisfied with getting the flash and who knows maybe some day we will get this figured out.
"I say Grace, and I say Ma'am, If you aint in to that I don't give a damn.

Bertk

Quote from: shagyluke on February 10, 2015, 07:19:39 PM
Bert,

I installed my 4 Kappas and installed my NVX and flashed my bike. I can tell you that it is night and day difference. I can also tell you that its not as good as it should be. I don't think you will be dis-satisfied with getting the flash and who knows maybe some day we will get this figured out.
How do you like not having treble & bass control?
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

shagyluke

Quote from: Bertk on February 10, 2015, 08:33:25 PM
Quote from: shagyluke on February 10, 2015, 07:19:39 PM
Bert,

How do you like not having treble & bass control?

The sound and loudness is 1000 times better than the stock crap.  I would like to have it, but I'm fine with what I have for now. I am sure that when my BK4180 gets here I will like a kid in a candy store. Maybe in the next few months someone will get it figured out.

AAWAV

Shagy's bike sounds way better than stock. Yes, a multiple band EQ would make it all sound much better IMHO, but with - what I think - what HD has done is for now the best we can do...
I really get the impression HD has altered the firmware in a way it simply cannot run anything else without THEIR stuff... they locked down options and the fact you cannot get the Bass and Treble to work with another flash is concerning the least to say (ditto for the lock down on the 8 speaker on f.e. the RGS as well as the VIN lock down).
referring to the RF website info and looking at the frequency response, it is all wacked up... from an audio perspective you do not want the frequency response to look like that at all (IMHO).
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

Bertk

Ok thanks Shagy and AAWAV. I'll make an appointment for the flash.
If I set the gains by DMM before hand, will I have to re-do them after the flash?
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

shagyluke

Quote from: Bertk on February 11, 2015, 05:18:51 PM
Ok thanks Shagy and AAWAV. I'll make an appointment for the flash.
If I set the gains by DMM before hand, will I have to re-do them after the flash?

I would get the flash done before you set your gains. Setting them before is going to be counter productive as the output before are going to be different then after the flash.