April 30, 2024, 08:39:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

01 1200 ignition No Spark

Started by oldskool, February 13, 2015, 02:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

Can anyone tell me how to test the ignition control module on a 2001 1200 Sportster ?

JohnK

What are you testing for? Sporadic issues or if it works at all?

oldskool

I have no spark. Coil is testing good.is it the 3 wire plug on frame above battery ?

FSG

What does the check engine lamp show?

oldskool

Billy

Quote from: oldskool on February 13, 2015, 04:49:19 PM
I have no spark. Coil is testing good.is it the 3 wire plug on frame above battery ?

Is this the 1200S (4 spark plugs) model? 1200S would have a 3 wire plug coming from the nosecone going to an external module, and we can test that, all others the module is in the nosecone and will have 5 wires coming from it, and I don't know how to test that or if it's even possible to.

If not the 1200S, the 3 wire plug you see is most likely for the speedometer.

You have allready eliminated the coil as being bad, the only other things it could be is the BAS, or module, and the factory service manual (at least the one I have) doesn't show a way to check those, it could also be a wiring problem. If I had to guess, I'd say the module is bad, based on my experiences with them, but it could be the BAS, which is much cheaper to replace, and I hate playing the "replace parts 'till it's fixed" game.

32465-98B  IGNITION MODULE integrated sensor | CAP/CG  $258.83
32495-98A   SWITCH bank angle | ALL  $62.88

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

JohnK

If it's a sporadic problem it's usually a result of heat - cold start the bike with the points cover off and point a heat gun or hair dryer at the module and typically the engine will die ...time to replace module. But if bike's not running then yeah, take your best guess and start swapping parts... or tracing the harness for a bad connection.

How about the ignition switch and kill switch, have you ruled those out?