April 27, 2024, 06:23:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lost a screw from my HogTunes lids- speaker held with 3 now!

Started by vhmike73, February 15, 2015, 01:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vhmike73

My right side saddlebag lid lost a screw (if the lid is open, it's the screw closer to the bike, when closed looking from the outside, it's the outboard front screw), and I noted that the other three on the right lid were not exactly tight. Upon some inspection (dark and FRIGID garage), the screw hole for the missing screw looks like it's a larger diameter than the other three mounting holes.

Is there any way to "shim" this, or repair the hole? Also, what length screws are you folks with HT lids running? I have Pioneer TS-D6902Rs that I just pulled out of the lids (my fingers are still numb - it's 7 degrees outside, winds 26mph!). I am intending on doing the same mod to the frame that AAWAV did (grind the corners, remove the plastic inner ring and use the HT supplied rubber gaskets), but that screw being gone isn't a good thing...

Please advise if there's anyone with Hogtunes 6X9 lids...

UltraNutZ

Mike, Bill (BT) can probably help you since they sell the HT lids.  He's probably got some laying around if he doesn't already have them measured.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

vhmike73

Ultra,

Have you had any issues with the weight of the Pioneer speakers causing the screws to have issues?

And, any idea how to "repair" the screw hole? As I said, it SEEMS that the missing screw came out of the hole because it was too big, so now I'm concerned that re-installing the speakers will end up with a screw that can't actually 'grab' material.

Also, I'm making the same mod to my Pioneers that AAWAV did (remove the plastic ring they came with, grind the corners to clear the 'notches' in the HT lids and using the rubber gasket HT supplied), so I wonder if that changes the depth of the screws as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you can suggest!

Mike

UltraNutZ

Quote from: vhmike73 on February 16, 2015, 08:56:32 AM
Ultra,

Have you had any issues with the weight of the Pioneer speakers causing the screws to have issues?
no sir.  I've installed probably 10 - 12 sets with the HT lids and haven't seen one back nor have I heard from the owners about this.  I can't stress this enough (and I think I know you well enough to know the answer already) but make sure when bolting down speakers in pods, lids, fairings that you're doing this by hand.  Any sort of power screwdriver will make a short life span of any plastic screw holes.

Quote from: vhmike73 on February 16, 2015, 08:56:32 AMAnd, any idea how to "repair" the screw hole? As I said, it SEEMS that the missing screw came out of the hole because it was too big, so now I'm concerned that re-installing the speakers will end up with a screw that can't actually 'grab' material.
i've used with good success on the faring brass inserts that come in already stripped out, epoxy glue to re-adhere the brass inserts.  For plastic screw holes like what you're dealing with there i've had good success with cleaning out the hole, fill it with epoxy, let it dry thoroughly, then drill your starter hole with a smaller bit and run your screw back in there.

Quote from: vhmike73 on February 16, 2015, 08:56:32 AMAlso, I'm making the same mod to my Pioneers that AAWAV did (remove the plastic ring they came with, grind the corners to clear the 'notches' in the HT lids and using the rubber gasket HT supplied), so I wonder if that changes the depth of the screws as well.
I have always used the rubber gaskets supplied by HT and yes it will change the depth slightly.. maybe 1/16"

vhmike73

Thanks for the info Ultra; yes I did use a hand screwdriver, but I may have to recalibrate my Army mechanic torque specs...though again, it was just the one screw.

I'll pull the lids and and try to fill the hole and re-tap it.

Is there a significant weight difference between the BT479s (I think that's the designation from BT) and the Pioneers? I can't recall if you've used both models...

UltraNutZ

I would "guestimate" that they are about the same.. the adapter (CVO lids) alone for the BT479 speaker kit probably weighs in at close to 2 lbs.