May 05, 2024, 07:50:03 PM

News:

OT: Any HVAC guys on here? Damper ?

Started by road-dawgs1, March 21, 2009, 03:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

road-dawgs1

I have a Burnham gas furnace and have an Effikal RVGP-KS 5" damper on it.  The furnace was new with house so it is 12 years old.  Just the other day it started to "not come on" when it called for heat.  A cold shower informed me of this.  I found that if I went down and flicked the emergency shut off switch at the furnace, it would then come on.  After doing that a couple of times, I found that if I tapped the Effikal unit it would work.  This leads me to believe that the damper switch or the contacts or something inside of it is going.  I noticed one on fleabay that I posted a pic of and was wondering if I could just unbolt the switch mechanism and swap it out, or do I have to replace the whole unit? 

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Clintster

March 21, 2009, 03:19:29 PM #1 Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:29:10 PM by Clintster
Have you checked the manufacturers website, until someone recognizes it.  They have the manual, and a short troubleshooting chart in FAQ. Looks like an assembly to me, but they have some troubleshooting steps to try.   
Drive fast, take chances

PoorUB

There is an end switch in the damper that has to be "made" to bring the burner on. There is four wires going to the damper, power, common, thermostat in, and out to the gas controls.
The damper is pretty much a one piece deal, although you should able to take the motor and control off one and install on another, as long as they are the same model.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

road-dawgs1

Thanks.  So if I buy that one listed on ebay since it is the same identical one to mine, I should be ok just swapping out the switch part?
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

blacknchromehd

There is a way to open the damper and leave it that way until replacement. Its only there to keep the warm flu gases from leaving when the burner shuts off. Was a way to raise the % of combustion. Make sure you get one with the right size fle pipe. Where do you live?

Bill in pa
If you own one you should ride it...not polish it..not look at it...ride the dam

PoorUB

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on March 21, 2009, 06:38:42 PM
Thanks.  So if I buy that one listed on ebay since it is the same identical one to mine, I should be ok just swapping out the switch part?

Not sure what you mean by the "switch part". If you are refering to the whole motor and control, sure it should not be a problem to remove it from the pipe and swap it out. Undo a couple screws, unplug the wires, pretty simple.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

road-dawgs1

Thanks.  I've been downloading some stuff from the effikal site and I see that you can replace the motor without the pipe, etc.  I also saw about placing the switch in manual while the burner is on so that the damper never closes until replacement.  Thanks a bunch guys.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue