April 28, 2024, 03:22:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My audio progression and BT review

Started by JTNC110, February 18, 2015, 10:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTNC110

My audio progression.   This is on a 2014 FLHX with the standard 4.3 radio.  Results may vary.

Stock – it sucked.

Next – RF 300x2 and Infinity Kappa's.   This was an improvement over stock but still sounded like crap.  This was before the RF bulletin on flashing the HU but I had read something about flashing so I went to my dealer and had them flash it for 2 speakers, 1 amp on.  (Seemed logical since that's what I had installed, right?)  Still sounded like crap.  Could only run in the amp in HP, as any bass seemed to overdrive the speakers.

Next – Read about the magic box.  Ordered and installed.  Had to crank the amp gains way up....literally all the way up.  Still had to run in HP, distorted with minimal bass.

Next – Saw the RF bulletin.  Had that flash done, 8 speakers, Amp 1&2 off.  Had a cool tech that let me do it with him so I could verify the settings.   As soon as we turned the bike back on the stereo was noticeably louder.   Went home and removed the magic box, re-adjusted the gains.  Sound quality much improved but still couldn't get even close to half volume in AP with the bass and treble flat.  Everything still sounded harsh and screechy in my opinion.  Still in HP.

I had heard other people's two speakers systems and they sounded much fuller than mine so I started questioning whether these speaker pods were the culprit.  (Note- I never tried polyfill in the pods).

Next – Ordered the BT brackets and 7.1 kit.  I was originally going to install the Kappa's in the BT brackets so I could do apples to apples comparison but the mounting holes didn't line up and I was too lazy to drill and tap new holes.  So I installed the 7.1's with my existing RF 300x2.  Wow these speakers are clear.  I could finally run the amp in AP.   I could still get low end distortion when pushed but it was in AP after all.  Re-adjusted the gains and took it for a road test.   Did I mention the clarity of these speakers??  It's not even a fair fight between them and the Kappa's.   At highway speeds though, I felt like the RF amp didn't have enough to push them.

Next – Ordered the BT 2180 and installed.  Nice, sounds amazing in the garage.   I have a detached garage and my GF came out to inform me that I might piss off the neighbors blasting my music at 11:30 PM because she could hear it in the house.  On the road test the next day this amp could drive the speakers much louder than the RF with great clarity.  Even if you push them to low end distortion the voices and highs remain sharp.  This setup is LOUD and CLEAR with the fuller sound I had been seeking.   

The stock HU is the only limitation left as it induces distortion about around 10 dots of volume.  I love the look of the BT 2014 HU retro kit way better than the Metra.  As soon as BT develops one to address the oil pressure and EITMS functions as Metra has, that will be my next purchase.

tdgriff

Thank you for the write up and your time. I have to say the BT system is the way to go. I am very happy with mine.

Eglider05

Just received my 4180, 7.1 Pro's for the fairing and the 7.1 pods for the TP yesterday. I can't wait to hear this...but I'm in Michigan so it will be a while. In the meantime I'll be HU shopping.

Rick

rredneckn2

I installed a bt 2180 ,bt 7.1 PRO and a sony head unit in a guys bike last week all I can say is wow! Gotta have some of that!!!Awsome company w/american made products,Lifetime warranty NO brainer
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Durwood

Quote from: rredneckn2 on February 18, 2015, 05:25:44 PM
I installed a bt 2180 ,bt 7.1 PRO and a sony head unit in a guys bike last week all I can say is wow! Gotta have some of that!!!Awsome company w/American made products,Lifetime warranty NO brainer
:up: :up: