April 27, 2024, 12:52:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2014 FLHTCU Upgrade

Started by Blues Guy, February 18, 2015, 12:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blues Guy

Considering upgrading a stock system on a 2014 FLHTCU. Been scouring through the various posts (tons of knowledge here - primary reason I headed this direction) and trying to make an educated decision. I'd like to keep the FM even though most of the music I listed to is via bluetooth. Hopefully keep the $$ to less than $700 give or take a dollar. Considering starting with four Infinity Kappa 62.11I's - found them for $95 a pair - and matching the balance of the components. I'm not a true gearhead, most of what I've learned is from reading the posts here. I'm big into plug and play wiring, less chance for me to screw something up.
Any and all advice appreciated.
I spend a lot of money on my Harley, whisky and books. The rest I just squander.

UltraNutZ

BG.. I would start by simply upgrading the speakers. You might find that this is enough for you.

If that doesn't satisfy you after you've listened to them, I would suggest because of the FM to go with 2 of the RF PBR300x2 amps or if you can swing it, the Biketronics BT4180.

Keep in mind you'll need to use the spacer rings on the rear pods up about 1/4"

for the fairing you have 2 options.  either take the pods out and apart and mount the speakers inside the pod which will provide enough clearance to the speaker grill or just mount them to the outside of the pods like the stock speakers are now but you'll need to update the stock speaker grills to the Boom Audio grills to clear the tweeter and woofer surround.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

shagyluke

Quote from: Blues Guy on February 18, 2015, 12:04:28 PM
I'm big into plug and play wiring, less chance for me to screw something up.
Any and all advice appreciated.

Once you have decided on what you are going with, Call V-twin and tell them what you have and they can set you up with your wiring harness's for the amp and speaker outputs. I was in your same boat a couple of three weeks ago, and now I am a happy camper with my 62.11i's and my BT4180. Take your time and ask a lot of questions.
"I say Grace, and I say Ma'am, If you aint in to that I don't give a damn.

Blues Guy

I appreciate the advice. Other than the BT 4180 and the RF PBR300x2 - any other options you'd consider that will keep the FM?
I spend a lot of money on my Harley, whisky and books. The rest I just squander.

UltraNutZ

the NVX MVPA4 amp appears to not cause any FM issues.

shagyluke

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 19, 2015, 01:14:29 PM
the NVX MVPA4 amp appears to not cause any FM issues.

I just happen to have one for sale if Ultranutz doesn't want it.

UltraNutZ

ah yeah.. I do want it.. send me your info and price via PM

shagyluke

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 19, 2015, 01:21:55 PM
ah yeah.. I do want it.. send me your info and price via PM

Sorry, Just re-read this and I have already sent you an email.