April 27, 2024, 01:41:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Install and set-up of amp

Started by Stang951, February 20, 2015, 12:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stang951

I have ordered an amp (see my other post - SS PN4.520D) I used to install amps in cars so have the basics (at least I think). I need to know what size wiring I should get for the install. Speaker and power, as I am sure the speaker wire makes a difference with the amp.

Also if someone has specific instructions on installing an amp on an Ultra (without a factory amp) I would appreciate it.

UltraNutZ

what year is the bike?
what head unit?
what speakers?

10ga power wire is perfectly fine for both power and ground
16ga speaker wire is all I use when I need it.
you want to tin/solder the tips of all the wires going into those screw terminals
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Stang951

Thanks UN! It's an 09 street glide with a tour pak and all the connections.

UltraNutZ

not sure what speakers you have but here's a write up on an Ultra with polks and a SS 4.520D.  if you're not using polks, ignore the crossover part

r0de_runr

Todd, can you post the location of the pbr300x2 amp with Infinity Kappa 62.11i instructions?  For a batwing fairing, CVO SG. 

I can send photos and stuff back since you don't have one on a CVO yet.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

UltraNutZ

Greg.. do you have speakers up top and in the lowers?

Lowglidin

On a 2014 FLHTK.  The rear speaker wire are blue/blue black stripe. And blue/blue red strip.   Is this correct?   Can I tap into them in the 35 pin wiring harness?

r0de_runr

Quote from: Lowglidin on February 20, 2015, 09:02:34 PM
On a 2014 FLHTK.  The rear speaker wire are blue/blue black stripe. And blue/blue red strip.   Is this correct?   Can I tap into them in the 35 pin wiring harness?
Tweeters in the gauge locations, 5.25 in the fairing locations, and 6.25 in the fairing lowers.  6x7 in the speaker lids.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Lowglidin on February 20, 2015, 09:02:34 PM

Yes sir.  Pins K1, K2, H1, J1

Lowglidin

UltraNutz -  I have the front speakers and amp installed, finally.    Now I am working on the rear pods.

Running Kappas -  snipped the terminal connectors to wire the rear speakers.   Running speaker wire straight to the speakers.   Splicing into the 35 pin connector to get the other side of the amp wired in. 

My question is:  once I have snipped the wires at the speaker, hooked the speaker wires to the amp, splice the 35 pin, how does the the signal for music get to the rear! now that I have snipped the blue wires.   

I just can't see how this works. 

UltraNutZ

blue wires from radio go to amp inputs
blue wires going away from radio go to rear speakers

Bertk

Open up the wiring harness coming out of the radio.
Find the 4 blue wires for the rear speakers. They will be twisted together.

Pin    Color        Speaker
K1    LBE             RR +
K2    LBE/BK        RR -
J1     LBE/O          LR +
H1    LBE/GY        LR -

I soldered one foot peace of 16g wire to each rear speaker wire, 8 in all.
Shrink wrap them. This will leave more then enough wire to tie into the AMP.
Here are some pics.
[attach=1]  [attach=2]  [attach=3]

Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Lowglidin

Thanks guys, 

I had to sit down and draw it out, but I got it.   My logic was right, the picture in my head not so much.  3 out of 4 speakers are in, finish buttoning up tomorrow.

For the back speakers how did ebveryone get the kappa grill covers to stay on?

Bertk

Quote from: Lowglidin on February 21, 2015, 08:15:02 PM
Thanks guys, 

I had to sit down and draw it out, but I got it.   My logic was right, the picture in my head not so much.  3 out of 4 speakers are in, finish buttoning up tomorrow.

For the back speakers how did ebveryone get the kappa grill covers to stay on?
This is a 2014 correct? If so you will need spacers with the Kappa 62.11i speakers.
These are the spacers I used.
Spacer goes on first. Then the speaker, then the ring that the kappa grill clips to.
They will look like this.
[attach=1]
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Stang951

February 23, 2015, 04:55:22 PM #14 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:03:43 PM by Stang951
What is the best way to mount this and the CB module? Dual lock and zip ties or make a bracket? Ordering the wires and was looking at some dual lock tape that another bunch of guys recommended. Wanted to order a bracket from a guy named Scott, but he is not making them anymore.. :banghead:

Right now I am looking at mounting it to the top of the radio and moving the CB module under the radio and using a big zip tie.

UltraNutZ

Stang951

I must be an idiot...I cant find one from Dragonfly. Not even on their Facebook page.

Stang951

Thanks again UN! I ordered all the wiring this morning, this is the last part that will slow the installation. I didn't like the idea of velcroing the components together (even though everyone says it would work). Worried about the heat killing the glue down here in South Louisiana. No other adhesive lasts with the heat.

Bertk

I used Industrial strength valcro and a zip tie. It's not going anywhere.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Stang951

Talked to Kevin at DragonFly. The brackets are $45.00 each, and 20.00 for shipping. They look to be the best option, at least without fabricating my own, which will take some time. It's good to know that there is another option than J&M and a little cheaper.

Lowglidin

Guys,

Got speakers and amp installed.  MAJOR problem - system runs fine.  Now I am having intermittent problems with the screen itself coming on.  It is a crap shoot as to if the screen will come on or be off.

Thoughts?

UltraNutZ

your install shouldn't have anything to the with the screen blanking out.  That's internal to the head unit IMO.

Lowglidin

That's what I thought to.   Now I don't have enough juice for the battery to turn the bike over.   

UltraNutZ

that may have been the issue all along.  Charge up your battery bud and let us know.