May 03, 2024, 11:56:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

won't start

Started by sangerbuzz, November 08, 2008, 06:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sangerbuzz

I have an '05 Road King that I laid down in an accident.  Now I can't get it to run for more than a second.  It will do that three times and then I can't get it to even turn over.  If I let it sit for five minutes I can do the same procedure, with the same results.

Does anyone have any ideas??  Is there a computer reset that it needs?? Thanks...

randyredneck

Wow...we have the same topic name...different problems though!  :smileo:

Your problem sounds like a tip switch...maybe it's faulty. I know the time or two I've laid my bike down (not wile moving...always at a stop, just simple tips overs) it did this, but after a couple mins it would reset.

Hopefully someone can chime in with a fix.

Good Luck,
Randy

Bakon

Bank angle sensor- to reset you cycle the ignition switch on and off five times - I think- in a row. Should work then.
wasting time

NichT58

Try turning the security system on and off

sangerbuzz

This bike does not have a security system and turning the switch on and off did not help it either maybe I did it wrong can any one help?

egc04

did you damage the crank position sensor or wire ?
Have you checked the bank angle sensor maybe its moved on its bracket in the accident and on an angle now.
egc

sangerbuzz

Crank position sensor and wire (near the end of oil filter) looks fine. I remove seat  and the turn signal module/bank angle had the spring clip holding it in place, it looks just fine .

hotroadking

I'd look for a broken wire or loose wire, ignition area maybe if you dont' think it's the BAS.

longshooter

By chance, did you go down on the right side? Maybe damage to the run/stop switch or wiring

longshooter
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

Ken R

Just a hunch; cause I've seen many HD's fall over in parking lot exercises.   

I don't think it matters how long you wait with the key OFF. 

Turn the key ON and let it set with the key ON for at least 10 seconds.  Then, it should start. 

The 10 seconds seems like an eternity, especially if the competition timing clock is running.  Try to start too soon and you have to start from scratch.

Ken

Mix01FLHT

What side did you lay it down on?   Carb or EFI?
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

egc04

when it quits does anything else work lights signals etc sounds like you may have a short tripping the main breaker maybe wires got pinched when it went down .
How long was it down ?
whats the battery voltage?
I take it this is an efi model ?
egc

sangerbuzz

The bike is efi it layed on it left side about a half hour it will start and run about 1-2 seconds and than shuts off  the service manger at the dealer says it need to relearn a password ? The bike has other damage to lower fork legs so it dose not roll and the dealer is just about ready to close for good.

egc04

only needs to have a password if it has a security system to the best of my knowledge .
if you need instructions on it e mail me .

you have to narrow things down to either being and electrical problem  or fuel related .
Thats why I asked you if the lights etc worked when it quits .
Do you have a spark [ground the plug to the head]?
when it quits?
egc

fxrp

I had a friend with the same symptoms. Didn't have an accident just started acting up on a trip. His would start and run a few seconds then start missing and die. Digital Tech kept indicating the crank position sensor was bad. After some hair pulling it turned out to be a 'shorted/grounded' speed sensor. BTW his was a 2004 EFI bagger.