Another BT 4180 installed in a 15 RGS

Started by shagyluke, February 22, 2015, 05:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shagyluke

I got my 4180 installed on my Road Glide. I removed the gas tank and installed the power and ground wire. I used the main ground connection that is in front of the positive battery terminal. Removal of tank was easy as this was my first time and I was worried.

There isn't a lot of room in the fuse compartment and finding a home for the fuse that was going to be out of the way was a challenge.

I installed the 4180 a couple of different ways for a test fit and see which would be the best. Bill at BT said that the amp would best fit with the wires coming out of the front was the best option but I had to see for myself. While the Head Unit was still in place I got a sharpie and outlined the HU to see what kind of space I was going to have to make a bracket and hold the amp in place. I had a piece of angle sitting around so I put it to use with some all thread and lock nuts. With the amp in place I slid the angle in to see where I needed to drill my holes on each side of the HU. I slid the all thread down and put the nuts on the bottom and marked the top with a sharpie and then cut them to length. I painted the angle to keep it from rusting. I also removed the left speaker pod to make more room for my hands to get under the HU and also to slide the angle in from the side.

I tucked everything up under the HU and Amp and buttoned everything back up.

I am more than pleased with the volume going down the HWY just wish I had Treble and Base control. Im sure before long someone will get the flash figured and I will stop crying about it.. All in all I love the way this 4180 drives these  Four Infinity 62.11i's. Cant wait to BT comes out with a speaker that will fit in the fairing of this 15 RGS.

"I say Grace, and I say Ma'am, If you aint in to that I don't give a damn.

Bertk

Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

z71_fourwheelin

Very nice. Nice parts bench in the first picture.
Kw X598, SS 4.520, 4x MM651

Modes

Looks good.  I have Hybrid Audio Technology 6.5" in my '15 'glide pods, which are what biketronics sells.  I made a spacer out of the grill adapter and had to grind the plastic rib on the bottom inside the pod.  Fit under the stock grills, with a small trimming of one of the grill retaining clips. Not plug and play, but easily done.

Adam

shagyluke

Quote from: z71_fourwheelin on February 23, 2015, 05:15:59 AM
Very nice. Nice parts bench in the first picture.

Haha.. Yeah i am running out of room in my garage. Nice moving blanket and gently placed parts makes sure that neither gets scratched.

shagyluke

Quote from: Modes on February 23, 2015, 06:39:48 AM
Looks good.  I have Hybrid Audio Technology 6.5" in my '15 'glide pods, which are what biketronics sells.  I made a spacer out of the grill adapter and had to grind the plastic rib on the bottom inside the pod.  Fit under the stock grills, with a small trimming of one of the grill retaining clips. Not plug and play, but easily done.

Adam

Looks like they fit better than my infinity's. where did you source the speakers from? I would like to try that.

Modes

http://store.12velectronics.com is where I bought them, but biketronics is cheaper just don't have grills I believe so you would need to source a spacer maybe.

Adam

shagyluke

Adam

From the looks of it from this picture, You have way more room between your speaker and your grill clips. My stock grills worked but the fit is a little off. They are holding but the bottom clip on the speaker grill I dont think is all the way in. I should have tried to adjust my fairing while I had it all apart. Oh well, another project to put on the board.. Let me know where you got your spacers. I might get some in the event I go this route.

Modes

I trimmed the bottom clip so the grill will sit flush.  I made the spacers from the grill adapters.

Adam

Biketronics Inc

We are working on a small offset adapter ring to use our 6.5" speakers, trying to get it so you don't have to shave down the little rib inside of the pod.  Hopefully have something in a week or so.  Also an amp mount for under the radio, I don't have a RG here so it is taking a little while to get these parts done.

Bill
1-800-735-2419

shagyluke

Quote from: Biketronics Inc. on February 25, 2015, 03:15:54 PM
We are working on a small offset adapter ring to use our 6.5" speakers, trying to get it so you don't have to shave down the little rib inside of the pod.  Hopefully have something in a week or so.  Also an amp mount for under the radio, I don't have a RG here so it is taking a little while to get these parts done.

Bill

Bill,

That 4180 fits so snug that you really don't need a mounting bracket.  I was on the fence when making mine but just did it for "Okay I know its in there good".. Thanks for the R&D though. I will be looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
      FYI, my install still has the fuse sound when turning off the ingnition, but everything is working great..

Aaron

UltraNutZ

Adam

Adam, what do the grills look like once they're on?  Do the tweeters hit the grills at all?

Nice work by the way, both of you..
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Modes

The grills look and sit like stock.  Even with the lower clip shortened (It doesn't snap in anymore) the grill is secure.  The tweeter is 3/16" or so from touching the grill.

Adam

UltraNutZ

looks great.  can't help but to ask because of the way it looks.  Does the outside top edge of the speaker sit higher than the fairing inner or is that just trick photography?
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Modes

I think that is just an optical illusion.