May 05, 2024, 09:05:37 PM

News:

Front Wheel Removal and Replacement

Started by BrownsfaninMN, March 22, 2009, 04:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrownsfaninMN

...in the process of replacing the front rotors on my '04 FLHT to a set of HD floating type, I was reinstalling the wheel last night and was following the the directions on how to tighten the axle nut, "...placing a 7/16" drill bit in the hole and tighten the axle nut then securing the U shaped axle support and tightening those two nuts".  Well after I did as instructed I noticed that the right bushing had about an 1/8" gap between the fork and the wheel bearing...  what gives?  So I loosened both, pulled the axle out a bit, tightened the U shaped support first then the axle nut, bringing everything back together nicely.  I don't suppose that gap between the fork and the bushing should have been in there, was my adjustment correct?  The hole in the axle (where the drill bit goes) is a bit further out than flush with the outside of the fork, is this better than having the gap between the fork and the bushing???  Thanks.

bigtone

You need to tighten the u clamp after the axle nut. There is a step in the axle, so when you tighten the axle nut, it pulls everything over to the left. Then you tighten the u clamp. A small gap there is normal. This keeps the fork legs parallel to each other.

Billy

Quote from: bigtone on March 22, 2009, 04:55:43 AM
You need to tighten the u clamp after the axle nut. There is a step in the axle, so when you tighten the axle nut, it pulls everything over to the left. Then you tighten the u clamp. A small gap there is normal. This keeps the fork legs parallel to each other.
:up:

It also keeps the right caliper properly aligned on the rotor.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

cheetah

Here's a neat wat to change a fropnt wheel. Wouldn't try it on an HD tho.
WB

http://www.wimp.com/motorcyclestunt/
Live Every Day if it was your Last
Cause it just might be