April 28, 2024, 10:40:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need some advice on carb. swap

Started by Bumpy1959, November 08, 2008, 06:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bumpy1959

Greetings, My ol' SU carb has just about given up the ghost and I've been gifted a newer CV carb and am looking for some input. My motor is a 90 CI Pan/Shovel, (1959) and the carb came off of a 2003 Road King. I know I have to buy a manifold adapter from the fellow on e-bay that makes them, but am unsure of any other modifications that might have to be made and if the stock jetting will work ok or need to be changed.  Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
Bumpy

dave_9113

I think Nomad is right in the middle of replacing his carb with a CV.  Lots of information on this.  Manifold adapter and your choice of air filter assembly.  You will have to re-jet.  50/190 are a real good start for Shovel.  Fabricate some place to put enrichner cable.  Do you have an overflow tube on the carb bowl?  Might have to look at that. 

dave

76shuvlinoff

It's not too tuff, go for it. There's lots of help here. Try to get some history on the CV you have been gifted. The less mods that have been made to it the more clear your starting point will be.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Bumpy1959

Thanks fellas for your input. I was rummaging around in my spare parts box's and came up with a manifold for a "Del Orto" carb I had on a shovel back in the mid 80s. It's the spigot style and the CV mated right up to it. It even has a stud on the bottom for a bracket to stabilize the carb. I don't see an overflow fitting on the carb so it looks like the only difficulty is going to be finding a place to attach the enrichner knob.

Thanks again, and any other comments are more then welcome!
Bumpy
PS The Pan/Shovel is sitting in a 1957 straight leg frame.

stray

I think that the latest (and I don't know how late) have electronic choke instead of the cable.  Yours may be a cable, but you might have a look.  Just my .02.
Joe

Lew

Since comments are welcome....I say rebuild the SU.  They are infinitely rebuildable and will perform on a shovel better than any other carb.
2 cents Lew

-It is now later than it has ever been before-

randallwhitman

I think Ron Trock of Trock Cycle, makes a choke adapter that's pretty cool for shovels.   :wink:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Bumpy1959

Well Lewie 1313, I sure agree with you about SU carbs, I've run them on at least 4 bikes in the past but am determined to see how this CV carb will work on my latest build. Of course it's a kicker only and sometimes the ol' SU gives me fits after it's warmed up and I'm trying to get it started. Maybe if I was a bit younger! I'll be 65 this summer and am still riding a rigid!
I'll have a look at the "Trock" adapter if I can find it on the web.
Cheers,
Bumpy

Lew

Bumpy,  If your engine won't fire up when warm with your SU try kicking it over with the throttle open.  Bet it fires right up.
Lew

mpchopper

I ran a Su on a kick start 93" Shovel for a little while. Then I switched to a CV. The CV actually seemed to start easier, maybe because of the accelerator  pump. Also had more leg room for the forward controls. The only drawback is the CV doesnt look as cool. :wink:  I ended up with a 52 inter. and a 195 main.
Best of luck.
MP
"In the teeth of all winds blowing"

stroker800

You should probaly send that old SU up to Canada and I give it a new home on my boys shovel project,,we have a bit of time to gather the parts needed bein that he is goin on 8 months...Love the simplicity of a SU,,guess I'm a simple guy.
Dave

Bumpy1959

Quote from: mpchopper on November 12, 2008, 02:03:41 PM
I ran a Su on a kick start 93" Shovel for a little while. Then I switched to a CV. The CV actually seemed to start easier, maybe because of the accelerator  pump. Also had more leg room for the forward controls. The only drawback is the CV doesnt look as cool. :wink:  I ended up with a 52 inter. and a 195 main.
Best of luck.
MP
Couldn't agree with you more. The SU is one cool looking carb, but I'm looking forward to easier starting and more leg room!

Bumpy1959

Quote from: lewy1313 on November 10, 2008, 08:05:50 PM
Bumpy,  If your engine won't fire up when warm with your SU try kicking it over with the throttle open.  Bet it fires right up.
Lew

Darn, should have tried that before! I'll kinda miss the rattle of the slide bumping up and down.

shovelkid73

Quote from: stroker800 on November 12, 2008, 07:18:48 PM
  You should probaly send that old SU up to Canada and I give it a new home on my boys shovel project,,we have a bit of time to gather the parts needed bein that he is goin on 8 months...Love the simplicity of a SU,,guess I'm a simple guy.
Dave
Nice to see someone other than my father is starting us out early

randallwhitman

Here's some blasphemy:  go to  www.shovelhead.us  and contact Doc about the choke rig from Ron Trock.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

hotham

When my 82 was an 80 incher,  I ran and SU.  It was great except it was in the way using forward controls.  Helped put a cv on a friends bike.  Didn't look as cool, but it ran great.  Riding into the mountains or at sea level the cv never missed a beat.

jlat969

hello; not to change the subject. bumpy I'd like to see that rigid  you ride. you got more than 10 years on me and I have more body pains everyday never mind riding a rigid!
thanks
RIDE ON

dablaze

Heya Stroker...

I think we need to start a movement to send all old SU carbs up to Canada. Thats what my plan is to run on the '48 I am building. They are the coolest looking carb. I just want to get one of the intake elbows so I dont have to learn to ride it sidesaddle.

Craig

Second Shift Cycle

Lew

I keep hearing about the SU sticking out and being in the way.  I run one on my FLHS with five gallon tanks and forward controls.  I'm using the straight dropped manifold and the carb is not in the way at all.

Bumpy1959

Quote from: jlat969 on December 17, 2008, 05:44:51 AM
hello; not to change the subject. bumpy I'd like to see that rigid  you ride. you got more than 10 years on me and I have more body pains everyday never mind riding a rigid!
thanks
RIDE ON
Not sure I can post pictures of my Pan/shovel but I'll try
Bumpy

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]