April 27, 2024, 09:04:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

BT4180 8-10 gauge power and ground connections

Started by ALUCARD19, February 24, 2015, 06:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALUCARD19

Nutz I was reading on the diy mobile audio forum that Bill from BT was making available the BT4180 amps with 10hz cutoff instead of the 45hz cutoff on the standard BT4180 amps if it would be possible to get a BT4180 amp with 8-10 gauge power and ground connections that are screw down instead of the 14gauge spring clip connectors currently on the BT4180 amps this would be so much easier when hooking up the power to these amps.
Any idea if he would be open to this option for any future group buys or just as an updated version of this amp.
"A Hole is a Hole is a Hole",  Where Eagles Dare
         AMA Life Member #35524

UltraNutZ

yeah I read that too.  I like the idea of the 10hz cut off but you have to remember, we're talking guys that are using these BT 4180 amps in a car environment.  From reading that thread, I gathered a couple of things from what Bill said;

• the ability to bridge the amplifiers (both the 2180 and the 4180) is coming
  • the 10hz vs 45hz cut off points ( i don't see this being needed in a bike install unless you're installing subs).  I think Bill also stated they have enough trouble with blowing speakers at 45hz now.  Imagine 10hz.
  • the addition of the screw down terminals, but again because of the efficiency of the 4180 amps it's not needed at this point.  I think this will be needed when the bridged version become available.
  • the addition of a 5 channel and possible a 7 channel amp.  That would be kewl for sure.

Being that the BT amps are all built in house with the exception of the Hypex modules used, he might be open to the option of adding screw down terminals for you.  I don't think a group buy would be necessary to accomplish that but again, you need to call Bill and discuss with him.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

ALUCARD19

Yeah, that's what I am going to do, just waiting until they open today.
Do you know if 8 or 10 Gauge power and ground wires will fit in the spring clips on the BT4180, and also will 14gauge speaker wire fit in the speaker spring clips.
That is mainly what I am concerned about I like to use good size wire in my installs just my OCD I always prefer a better than necessary safety factor.
         AMA Life Member #35524

UltraNutZ

I will tell you today.  My (2) 4180s will be here this morning.

ALUCARD19

Thanks Nutz,
I'm only asking because I read that the power and ground connection instructions from BT state that they are 14Ga. and 18Ga. for the speakers.
         AMA Life Member #35524

ALUCARD19

Nutz I just got off the phone with Bill from BT he said that the 14Ga.speaker wire will fit in the clips but that 10Ga. power and ground wire would be very tight or not at all so my 8Ga. is out of the question, but that the BT4180 comes with pigtail connectors that I could splice and solder into so that is what I will do when I order the amp later in the spring.
He also said it would be still be some time before they go to screw down connectors for all of the wiring hookups.
         AMA Life Member #35524

UltraNutZ

here's how they come unmolested.

based on my calculations
6ft of cable
25A max (same for 35a)
14.4VDC

14ga wire is recommended with a .38 volt loss across the 6ft span.  That's good in my book.

Again according to my calcs, 40a would be the breaking point technically for a larger wire being needed at that length then it steps down to 12ga.

So it stands to reason that I've always recommended nothing bigger than 10ga for these install.  It is overkill and going any larger is just a total waste of time and money.

ALUCARD19

Thanks I was just asking because I already have the wires run for my SS 4.520D amp.
         AMA Life Member #35524

UltraNutZ

me too, all 10ga.  I'll just snip a few of the internal wire strands to tin it and make it fit properly.

AAWAV

with the current footprint and the pictures on the web of the internals of the 4180, I would suggest BT to build a 6 channel version... would still fit in the fairing :smilep: :smilep:
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

ALUCARD19

February 25, 2015, 04:03:28 PM #10 Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:47:09 AM by ALUCARD19
If they build it I will buy it , they can call it the BT6180.
One channel for upper fairing, one for lower fairing or tour pak pods, and one for the bag lids, that would be perfect only to need one amp and cover all six speakers, or split one channel for the lower pods and tour pak pods.
I smell a new group buy in the making, put me down for one.
         AMA Life Member #35524

Gannicus

ALUCARD19

We should talk to Bill at BT and see what he can come up with I think we as a group could probably account for at least 15-20 such units right off the bat.
         AMA Life Member #35524

UltraNutZ

Gannicus

I hear ya NUTZ but those two BT4180's of yours ought to quench your thirst for a while!  :up: :up:

UltraNutZ

we'll see.

working on a double-din stock inner fairing at the moment
looking at possibly adding 6x9s in the lowers

never ends....    :banghead: