May 08, 2024, 09:42:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1340 evo cams

Started by Runesthu, March 01, 2015, 03:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runesthu

Hey guys, I need a little help with choosing a cam since I'm really stupid when comes to cams. But anyways I have a 1340 evo with HSR45 Mikuni, open airfilter and open exhaust. What kind of cam should I get to bump up the torque?

4speed

I just did mine ev23 very happy with it some say ev 27 .. I am sure you will get many responses ..I used nightrider they went through the cams and for what kind of bike and what you want very helpful
Danny                                                               Ride Safe

Reddog74usa

The V-Thunder 3010 is a great bolt in Tq. cam. Very quiet valve train with very good low end mid range that gets you going real quick. I would replace the 45 Mik with a 42 on a 1340.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

dynamagic

Quote from: Reddog74usa on March 01, 2015, 06:28:07 AM
The V-Thunder 3010 is a great bolt in Tq. cam. Very quiet valve train with very good low end mid range that gets you going real quick. I would replace the 45 Mik with a 42 on a 1340.
:agree: .. V-Thunder are good cams & replace the MIK 45 it's way to much carby for 80ci.
Back when I had an 1340 I ran an Andrews EV27 and found it did the trick.

harpwrench

If you're wanting more torque at cruise the open exhaust might not be helping and a cam might make it worse.

dynamagic

:embarrassed: I missed the open exhaust bit .... you will get a mid range dip in your hp/tq. Open exhaust = no back pressure ... is only good for drag bikes. It sounds like your trying to make a 80 ci behave like a BB motor and that won't happen.

Reddog74usa

:agree: I was going to suggest a change to stock pipes with a set of slip on's but most that run open pipes won't make the change as they like the sound.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hammer2Evo

EV 27 is a great cam but sometimes I wish I had a cam that didn't drop off around 4500 but on a heavy bike with 2 up.  I don't think you can beat.  I was getting 79 Ft lbs of torque with a setup just like yours with the exception I had a ProPipe a a Modified CV carb.

misfitJason

My Evo had a andrews ev3 in it since I got it. That cam felt like every other Evo I rode in the fact that you couldn't even tell it was a different than stock cam. I recently changed mine to an andrews ev27. I am very happy with the results even in my Softail a lot more torque where I want it. Low and mid
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

evo58

Ev 46 with 10:5:1 its unbeatable. Evo

rageglide

Quote from: evo58 on March 02, 2015, 04:11:10 PM
Ev 46 with 10:5:1 its unbeatable. Evo

Not sure about the unbeatable part.  But I agree, the ev46 is a great cam in the right bike.  I wouldn't call it a low end torque cam though.  It'll pull past 7k RPM if you let it... seen that several times.

evo58

I rode an FXR with the evo 46 ,had 10:5:1 good stock heads, mikuni 42 and a manifold ( i cant remenber the brand) that has a more spread Y .very fast bike .  Evo

rageglide

Quote from: evo58 on March 02, 2015, 06:07:14 PM
I rode an FXR with the evo 46 ,had 10:5:1 good stock heads, mikuni 42 and a manifold ( i cant remenber the brand) that has a more spread Y .very fast bike .  Evo

Yep.  My buddy had an evo Dyna WG and it was indeed a very fast bike. 

Rugby_fxdwg

The H290 by crane is an excellent cam at 10.5-1.  You need t.o change springs in the heads....
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

Hossamania

Yup, 46 is a fun cam, but I didn't bring it up because I didn't think it fit the OP's goal.
It's actually a blast when it comes into its power band.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Mark222

Quote from: Hossamania on March 03, 2015, 06:16:16 PM
Yup, 46 is a fun cam, but I didn't bring it up because I didn't think it fit the OP's goal.
It's actually a blast when it comes into its power band.

So is the aforementioned Crane H290 with the comp bump noted....    :up:

Mark

jamercier

is nobody tried the headquarter 0023 cam..there's alot of fun with it. best cam for evo with 10-to10.5 bump compression

Wicked

Well... it's been over a week... we don't know what the bike is or his riding style.   :nix: 
If all you're doing is cam, and you want torque....down low maybe??
If a full bagger - go ev21.  If lighter bike go ev27.
Carb is plenty big but useable.
Go with proper exhaust.

Paul

mp

Did the original poster die?  it would be nice to know what kind of riding he does before recommending a cam.  All aftermarket cams will increase torque and horsepower, but they will vary as to where in the rpm range they do so.