May 05, 2024, 07:44:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ot brake rotors pitting on trucks and cars.

Started by guitar sam, March 22, 2009, 04:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar sam

first, i had my putt putt out yesterday and went fishin too.

40,000 miles truck needs new rotors and pads on the front.  last spring i put new rotors and pads on the back.  the pads on the back were still good.  got the same issue with my Buick.  my friends tell me the same.  new rotors and pads. rotors rot out before the pads are used up.  one friend told em that the rotors are cast, and when they are poured, the outside is down and the inside is up.  all of the impurities float to the top and that is why when you look at your rotor from the outside it looks fine, but the inside is all pitted.  anyone else notice this

gs

shovelheadjr

My wife's Aztek's rotors were scrap at 33K. Both sides of the rotor "cratered", out of warranty by fifteen months.
Pads were still serviceable,replaced they anyway. Would not even try to turn them, some of the craters had to be close to 1/8" deep and over a inch long. No assistance from G.M., and I am a dealership employee too. We don't have advantages either!

Replaced with NAPA United line rotors and o.e. pads.

I think that is just poor quality steel, the o.e. rotors were Mexican production, who knows what impurities were in it.

jclark311

Did the brakes on my daughters Mazda 3 today, 45k miles, rotors were fine, and her car never goes in the garage, plus she drives it all winter long in the snow, and rain. I think if you use the vehicle a lot, they dont get much of a chance to rust. I bought zinc coated rotors for my Firebird, because I never drive that car. Its a good weather weekend car!

Rags722

Had the local shop do brakes  all around on my car last fall.  10 yr old car with 40K on it.  All 4 rotors were worn to the point they needed cutting or replacement, and I don't believe in cutting since new ones are so cheap.  In any case, I don't know what the heck they used for aftermarket rotors, but these things are rusting away while you watch them.  In 10 years I never had rust actually running out on the rims, but these do it .  Somehow, I can't see them lasting another 10 years.

xxxflhrci

No problems here.  I have a '87, '89, '90, and '94 of four different makes.  They all still have the original rotors.

thunderalley3

My GMC truck is a strange one. At 40 k I had the brakes checked, would have made it another few months, but I am a lifetime pad believer, as I usually run them 200 k in 4 years, so I let them buy my brakes, so I had them put on at 40 k and the left front rotor, inside was pitted, and actually had about a 1/4 inch rust area all the way around that was sticking above the rotor as if it was an extremely hard area, so it was replaced, I am not a turner either , for what they cost, and it seems like they get to a pulsing stage quicker after they have been turned.That was last June, so I took it in last week, 90k on it to get ready for the season,and the left rotor was bad again!!. The right is still ok, but the left, inside only, is trash,,,,what gives,,I am wondering if there is an overflow hose or something that relieves itself in that area, causing issues, maybe something a bit caustic getting on there. Oh well, another new rotor, free pads on both sides and good for another 50k this summer. I always buy GM trucks, usually the basic same vehicle, and this is my first issue, I hope GM is still here in 3 years when I need another, just can't see myself on a Fomoco or Dodge !!