May 08, 2024, 01:20:22 PM

News:

Vibe's

Started by 1997flht, March 23, 2009, 07:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1997flht

Hi group...These vibe's in  my 1997 flht are driving me nuts. I've replaced the front mount [installed correctly] swing arm bushings "doughnuts", pulled and checked upper and lower links, installed hydrolic primary chain tensioner,installed late model clutch drum. These vibes are more like a buzz, mostly on the left side of bike and left mirror, being I just had my left knee replaced if I can't figure these vibe's out I'm going have to get rid of this bike which I really don't want to do. Any ideas greatly appreciated, enjoy the day

fxr4mikey

Sorry to hear about your 'bad vibes'
I have no idea what might be causing it .... maybe someone will show up that can give you some useful pointers, Good Luck with it !
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb

Hossamania

Start touching parts as its idling, or carefully while riding, to see if you can find something that makes a difference. Check kickstand rubber, headlight ring, exhaust, etc. I'm sure you already have but maybe something will show. Fork pinch bolts? Good luck!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JohnS_Rosamond

Even though you replaced the rear Rubber doughnuts, it may be that for a 1997 bike, that the rear swing arm bushings (the ones installed inside the swing arm itself) are bad.  They are filled with silicone that can leak out if the bushing goes bad.  Also, if I may be so bold, to suggest that if you feel it in the left front end the most, it may be the fairing itself that's loose.  The FLHT fairing in your model Harley seems to be well known to break the upper faring mount (where the plastic attaches to the metal brackets inside the fairing).  You might also look at the rubber muffler hangars on the left side (under the saddlebags).
John S,

customrdr

I had a vibration that i looked and looked for. Come to find out it was a bent primary shaft. One day i acidently put it in first gear without the clutch(stupid me) and bent the shaft. I heard that there not that hard to bend. Jack up bike off ground, pull off outer primary cover, put in neutral and turn interclutch. If primary chain or belt moves up and down then your shaft is bent. Good luck...
2001 FLSTC
103CI  121HP-124TQ 10.8:1
BHP PROSTREET HEADS 91.8cc WOODS 9BG CAM