April 27, 2024, 10:36:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Satellite Radio options

Started by Eccool, March 10, 2015, 12:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eccool

Harley has two devices for sat radio.  One attaches to the bars ($299) one is integrated into the radio ($499).  Are there any performance differences between the two?  Are there any cheaper aftermarket options that are cheaper that do as well or better?  Thanks all!   (Bike is an 09 EGC).

ALUCARD19

You could put in an aftermarket HU for less than $200.00 that is XM Sirius compatible then pick this up SXV200V1 at best buy for $38.99 after that you just pay for the subscription.
Then later you can add an amp and speakers.
"A Hole is a Hole is a Hole",  Where Eagles Dare
         AMA Life Member #35524

pp6000v2

I've used several handlebar units (Skyfi, Roady, and the last external unit was an Onyx) before switching to the internal module. The internal module's audio output it definitely lower than the other inputs of the radio (FM, CD, Aux), but because of my particular setup I manage to work around it. If not having a unit you'll need to remove every time you park the bike is a concern, the HK unit is nice. Without an external amp, the lower level of the internal module is a little annoying (more on that below)- but it is daylight-readable unlike any of my handlebar-mounted units. On the other hand, the handlebar module will have a louder output, and the Harley handlebar unit has big buttons that you can press accurately (unlike any of my portable units I used on the bike).

If you use sat radio exclusively or significantly over other inputs, AND you have an external amplifier, you can set your gains against the audio level of the XM output and it's great. I level-matched my phone to the XM module and used a test tone to set gains against. I do not listen to CD's ever, and rarely is FM selected on purpose. If I do, I'll need to turn the volume down a little bit.
'01 FLHTC w/ a shoehorned H-K radio. Lots of audio harness fabrications....

crazy joe

I have a Roady II on my 03 Bagger The Roady II
works great but now having problems with the plugs
been on the bike at least 10 yrs
I don't notice the change of volume
pp6000v2  (is that what you talking about)
Are you saying with the HD SAT module there's
a lower volume problem?

UltraNutZ

what pp6000v2 is referring to is the infamous "lower volume level" issue with iPod and satellite modules specifically for the HD/HK head units.  This is a know issue and has been around since 06.  Guess HD never felt the need to address the issue.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

pp6000v2

Exactly.  Using an external sat radio unit, the volume is the same as the radio or CD. The add-on module for the Harman-Kardon radios has a lower level of audio coming out of it.  I cracked the module open hoping to find some potentiometer inside that I could adjust to increase the levels, but no such bit exists as far as I could see.  The 76390-05A handlebar unit is a fine option if you don't already have a portable unit and cradle that you could mount on your bike.  As I said, the buttons on it are glove-friendly, and should be daylight readable.  I personally prefer the built-in module and, if you can deal with the limitations of it, is great to be able to use the handlebar controls. Which ever route you go with, if you install your antenna in the faring, finding a larger antenna such as the ones that come with the XM home kits is recommended.  Looking at the diagnostic screen on my bike, compared to the typical car antenna, plugging in a home antenna gets me a satellite signal that is 20-30% stronger.

crazy joe

So there's no way around the volume control thing?
What if a amp is installed  did I read that right?  or does
it just bring the volume up across the board?

pp6000v2

The internal module is lower than other inputs, and it can't be level matched to other internal inputs (FM, AM, CD) from within the headunit.

I have an amp powering my speakers, and since I only use XM and my phone through a Bluetooth adapter on the aux port, I set my gains against the lower level of the satellite module. The Bluetooth adapter I use outputs at about the same level as the XM module. If I connect it directly with a cable, the volume is much louder.

So in my particular situation,I've tuned things so that XM is "right," but now if I used the CD or FM inputs, they would be too loud and distorted.

I feel like I'm adding confusion to the original question- the bottom line is that the internal XM module is about 3 volume bars lower than the other inputs.

crazy joe

pp6000v2  I understand what your saying.