May 02, 2024, 05:44:49 PM

News:

new rear tire

Started by guitar sam, March 23, 2009, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar sam

need a new rear tire on my putt putt.  was going to go with metzlers like i had on my sporty, but with what i hear on here, i would be taking my life in my hands.  should i go with an avon, if so which model for my 05 fatboy?  or should i just let the dealer put on another dunlop?

gs

specialx1

dunlop elite 3s r good JMHO, but ur gonna get all kinds of thoughts on this :potstir:
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

ceduby

I switched from Metzeler to Dunlop also. Never had a problem with Dunlop. Not even sure why I switched a few years back. I also didn't care for the way the Metz wore.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

WideBoy04

Galatians 2:20

sandrooney

Patience is such a waste of time .

calif phil

E3's do not come in a 150-80-16 size so you would have to run a smaller MU90B-16  I would go for the Dunlop D401 or the Avon Venom.

RK101

Setting up a date tomorrow for the Indy to install a Dunlop on my bike. The Dunlops are the only tire I've ever run on any of my bikes. Never felt the need to switch from them.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Evo1

I've got E3s on an flht and like them alot.

westbrs

I got 14000 mi. on my last rear tire -- Dunlop E-3's

cheetah

I vote Dunlap. Get about 15k out of the rear and 30k on the front. No handling problem either.
C
Live Every Day if it was your Last
Cause it just might be

takwolf

Got an E3 on the back of my Dyna, like it a lot.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

RK101

I get about 15k to 17k on the dunlops of the rear. I like them but IMO they do get a little squirrelly when you start getting down to the wear marks in the tread. One guy I ride with from time to time has the Michelin's on his bagger and seems to like them also.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Evo1

I've got E3s front and back on my flhtc and like them alot. The tar snakes don't seem to affect the bike as much as before.

L-

Guitar Sam,

One thing I have learned about tires and opinions ........ nothing matches.   I would install the Avon Venom's on the rear and see how you liked them. Get your own opinion.  I have a friend that runs them and he has no problems.  I run an Avon on the front of my Road King.  I had air leaks all around the rim on first install but $7.00 later for a re mount and it is holding perfect.  It seems very sticky and uses a little more air than Dunlops.

L-

drgn*95

rkrdr2

March 29, 2009, 09:33:48 AM #15 Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:46:31 PM by rkrdr2
I have 10k plus on a set of Metzlers on a 04 Road King with a lot of 2up....yes they were made in Brazil...the rear has 3/32...front has 5/32 @ dead center...they both are wearing very even...I have read all the horror stories about Belgium made Metzlers I guess I got two good ones.....I don't think you can get 12 or 13k on rear Metzler like a 402...but the handling difference between the Metzler and the 402 is night and day..I am going to run one more Metzler on the rear...then I might try the E3s

Deye76

The stories of Metzler problems are from ones made in BRAZIL. Don't know of any made in Belgium.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

ChopperBob66

Been running Avons for years. Just replaced rear. They quit making my size in the Avon Venom. So, I put on one of the new Avon Cobra's. Definitely handles better. Specially on the rain grooves on the highway. Too early too tell about wear.
Bob
MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az

FLH124

charlie

E3 on my FLHT front and back no more tar snakes like them a lot.Charlie down unde Aussie.