May 02, 2024, 02:02:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What type of helmet do you wear?

Started by driller, March 23, 2009, 01:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

driller

I was just curious what type of helmet have you chose to wear and why? Like 1/2, 3/4, full and brand. Do you change your helmet according to the season it is? What about goggles for those who wear glasses?
ride faster, grin wider, spit more bugs

RK101

Wear all the above mentioned. Which one depends on the weather and the length of the ride. I/2 helmet is a Vega that I wear most of the time. 3/4 open faced is for road trips and longer highway rides,and the full faced is just for cold weather. Those two are both HJC.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

someday69

I wear a fullface all year round,,got the last shoie for 150 on sale at some rice shop,in new jersey....I like to think I'm not going to lose any teeth or my knose or chin,,,,that re-construction cost'a a fortune...and I figure the weight keeps my neck musels in shape.....like anything else it what your use to....
   Have you seen the new neon colors that are out?,,have you seen the new heads up displays?? or the rear view heads up in the helmets..??
     I am going to make a coolant run'in through my helmet that will keep me cooler than even the beenie'es out there....
      And speek'in of cool,,,,I figure hey I ride a harley,,it fits me like an extension of self,we groove togeather,,,SOooo
                                               I feel kewl enough to wear a big baloon on my head,,yet I still even look good doing it..
    Now all I need is one of them fender bunnies,,,,that would help alot...someday...

Milehog

Super Seer 3/4 helmet. All day (24+hr) comfort.
Proud IBA member

CraigArizona85248

I wear a DOT rated carbon fiber polo helmet from Advanced Carbon Composites.  I wear it year round.  I have a full helmet (not full face) with a flip down face shield that I wear on rainy days.  We get a dozen or so of those a year here.  I wear perscription goggles from Guard Dogs.

-Craig

wavlovr1

HJC - 1/2 I hardly ever wear unless it's 100 degrees outside
and a 3/4 with the shield that drops down and becomes an areodynamic part of the lid.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

CL-33

jb

Rags722

When I wear a lid, it's a HJC 1/2 that is about 18 years old.  Only let me down once when the thread that holds the straps together rotted out during a ride, so I sewed them back together with some monofiliment I had laying around the garage.  I did put some helmet stickers over the worst gouges from dropping the lid while riding with it hanging from the engine guard.  Wintertime I toss on the ear flaps for comfort.  Most of the time I just wear a do-rag I got for free from AllState Insurance that was a freebie at a bike night from about 10 years ago.
I figure between a lifetime of Asthma, 45 years of smoking, 20 years of working in NYC, at least one "silent" heart attack, and being way out of shape, and a couple of other "health issues", a quality helmet is the least of my worries.  Hope this helps with your decision.
Rags

Jim Bronson

Shoei J-Wing 3/4. Arai FF for trips or bad weather.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Jim B.

I wear two full-face flip-up helmets. One is an HJC and one is a Schuberth. My son is a paramedic/fireman and a former sportbike rider. He convinced me that a full-face or full-face flip up was the way to go based on what he had seen at accident scenes. He convinced me, but I envy those who wear 1/2 and 3/4 helmets. I just don't have the courage to wear less than a full-face flip-up.

ThumperDeuce

Shoei synchrotech full face.  Excellent optics with a wide field of vision.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

PoorUB

HJC 1/2 no matter the weather! I have a HJC full face, but I do not like being closed in, never wear it. I like some wind in my face. Cold temps, still the 1/2. Rode for 300 miles in 34F temps a couple years ago. Grew up riding snowmobiles, and work outside in the winter, so my hide is pretty tough!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

thunderalley3

Seer 1/2 with visor. Great helmet. The inner foam inserts started to "shed" on my head, so I called to get replacements, thought I had it about 3 years, upon checking it is almost 7 years, they have changed the inserts so that the issue with the shedding no longer happens, new set in the mail for $14, life is good.

I guess I had better put a new one on Santa's list for next year, I think 7 years is long enough to trust the integrity, I know my new one will be a clone of what I have, as mentioned, you can wear them 24 hours with no issues, almost as comfortable as my hair,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HroadhogD1

Just got a small, light weight half helmet.  Its made by HCI.   

neale

White full-face, all year round, 99 percent of the time with the visor up and sunnies on.

codyshop

I carry a Fulmer "Trooper" for states that require one.  Ray

NETacomaFatboy

Arai Quantum for full
Shoei 3/4 with vents
Harley 1/2

whenever I choose a helmet, I make sure they are compliant and I make sure they have vents.

76shuvlinoff

Ran a non dot beenie for 5 years (even one wreck) then I got ticketed for it last year and picked up a dot Vega 1/2. I have not used a full face helmet since the 80s but I've been thinking about getting one for crappy weather.. this is Michigan, it's usually crappy somewhere.
BTW, I showed up in court with my dot Vega and they tossed the ticket. $45 helmet was cheaper than the $80 ticket. I still ride with the beanie now and then , I just avoid Sturgis Michigan and recommend others do too.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Princess Butt

I've gotten used to wearing a full face for my daily commute, it's really nice during a hailstorm. A little noisy, but at least I'm not getting nailed in the face. In the warmer weather, I'll wear a 3/4. I just picked up a flip face HD helmet (made by HJC) which I'm starting to use for commuting, but the jury is still out on that one. It's a little heavy, and it hurts my forehead after more than an hour.

I have a 10+ year old HJC half helmet which is by far my favorite half helmet. I also have a Shoei half, which matches the one my fender bunnie wears.

Never been stopped by the man for a helmet violation.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

jimrookie

1/2 Indian from J&P when they had all the Indian leftovers and a Zox flip up
full face

still_on2_wheels

Shoei X11 for the silver bike
Shoei RF900 for red bike

Both full face.

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

Ken R

I buy helmets like women buy shoes.  Well, not really, but I do have an assortment. 

Half helmet for parking lot practice.
3/4 helmet occasionally; especially when it's over 100 degrees.
Shoei X-11 is my latest.  It's relatively light, easy to put on and take off, maybe the best peripheral vision of any full face, and solid white for visibility.  Just mounted my J&M headset in it last night. 

apendejo

1966 Bell Shorty, white, rebuilt by me. I found a couple NOS at my work. The OL wears a 1967 white w/just a sprinkle of metalflake version of the same.
I test helmets for a living, FMVSS, NFPA, and various Mil-Specs are just a few of the standards I work with, just finished a project on the military ACH (Advanced Combat Helmet).
When riding in states that do not require the use of a helmet I excercise that right of choice.
Having tested helmets and impact attenuating playground materials for 25 years I feel I have a pretty good idea about the politics of helmet legislation.
Let those that ride decide.
I will leave it at that.
AP

starrider

March 24, 2009, 11:15:07 PM #22 Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:03:24 PM by Starrider
I've got four half helmets. 2hd and 2hjc. The last one i got on a dealer close out for 50 bucks. It has silver flames...i like it because it is the lightest of the other three. When weather is cold i switch to one of the hjc as it has a leather padding that is covers the ears and back of the neck (zip on or off)

However everone at my local dealer use the full face type...hmmmm they must have more wisdom from seeing all the wrecks that come in for repair...

marc

sharkoilfield

I bought a Nolan 103 (full face flip-up) about a month before I crashed on a CBR1000 (deer encounter) Jacket and helmet were trashed; I was riding 2 days later...bought another Nolan 103. Have a 3/4 I like when cruising in hot weather on my FXDXT, but the Nolan is quite comfortable in the cooler weather we generally get up north.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]