May 09, 2024, 02:07:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

left ignition on overnite

Started by 02blueking, March 20, 2015, 08:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02blueking

heres the question I left the switch on overnite it ran the battery dead now bike misses like it has fouled plugs so I put in new plugs fresh gas and its still  missing the bike is a 02 roadking efi anyone had this problem?

Smarty

Try removing the negative terminal from the battery for a few minutes than hook back up to reset everything. Just might do it.
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

BUBBIE

How did you work the Battery?

IF it is NOT fully charged and battery still LOW, it will/may not produce enough Juice to run properly. (missing like you said)

Batteries Must be fully charged NOT just enough to start the bike.

Our charging systems are only designed to Keep the Battery UP... Charging a low battery IS very hard on the charging system...

Just from The Little information you gave above,  it is hard to Diagnose...

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

BUBBIE

I found this over in General (probably where this thread should be)

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,81146.0.html

This has a lot of good information in it...

signed....BUBBIE

N-gin

Quote from: BUBBIE on March 20, 2015, 10:13:08 PM

IF it is NOT fully charged and battery still LOW, it will/may not produce enough Juice to run properly. (missing like you said)

Our charging systems are only designed to Keep the Battery UP... Charging a low battery IS very hard on the charging system...

signed....BUBBIE

I thought that was for the older excited field stators, not the permanent magnet type.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

harley_cruiser

Quote from: BUBBIE on March 20, 2015, 10:13:08 PM

signed....BUBBIE
That does not make sense, our bikes charge at 14.7 v, the ignition will run with half that.
I have charged up more than one Harley by jumping it then running it to charge it up.
I agree we need more info, carb, fuel injected?

smoserx1

The OP said the bike was EFI.  Long time ago ignitions would run with almost no power, but I'm not sure anymore.  My stepdaughter's car will not run with a compromised battery even though it appears to crank okay.  Seen that first hand recently.  Need good alternator AND battery these days.

Smarty

Take the battery off and take it to AutoZone or somewhere like that and have them load check it. If it is nine years old, I'm pretty sure you've got a bad cell. Cost nothing to check, then when you put it or a new one back on, check with a volt meter that the charging systems is putting out around 14 volts.
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

BUBBIE

March 21, 2015, 08:23:34 AM #8 Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:29:29 AM by BUBBIE
WELL, I''m just going on WHY put your charging unit to Produce Maximum when A bad battery or other will drain it again. On my 06 sport, Low Battery Did exactly what OP bike did. Putting in a new battery solved that problem on my bike...

I also went thru 3 stators because of problems Charging on it...

Even when you buy a New Battery, They suggest to charge it up before you use it. Some sellers charge it before you buy it.

That is how I Believe it.

signed....BUBBIE

harley_cruiser

IF it was Close to dead... That will not run the bike : too low a battery..

Hossamania

A wonky battery will cause seemingly unrelated issues.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

02blueking

battery is not the problem anymore it is new problem is it was left on overnite and now it pops, misses and fires back through the air breather battery has been charged back up and I rode it to work it starts fine no engine light or nothing. I  dunno sounds like a bad injector or coil or like its out of time I didn't do anything mechinal to it.

fbn ent

Ignition on / kill switch on? You may have cooked your coil. This used to happen in this situation.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

harley_cruiser

Quote from: 02blueking on March 21, 2015, 10:12:29 AM
battery is not the problem anymore it is new problem is it was left on overnite and now it pops, misses and fires back through the air breather battery has been charged back up and I rode it to work it starts fine no engine light or nothing. I  dunno sounds like a bad injector or coil or like its out of time I didn't do anything mechinal to it.
Have you tried to pull codes?

harley_cruiser

Quote from: BUBBIE on March 21, 2015, 08:23:34 AM
WELL, I''m just going on WHY put your charging unit to Produce Maximum when A bad battery or other will drain it again. On my 06 sport, Low Battery Did exactly what OP bike did. Putting in a new battery solved that problem on my bike...

I also went thru 3 stators because of problems Charging on it...

Even when you buy a New Battery, They suggest to charge it up before you use it. Some sellers charge it before you buy it.

That is how I Believe it.

signed....BUBBIE

harley_cruiser

IF it was Close to dead... That will not run the bike : too low a battery..
If the battery was shot had a break in the internal connections, or if the charging system was shot and the battery was almost dead, then you are going to get running problems.
But if the battery has enough voltage to start the bike, 12 v or more, and will hold that voltage, and the charging system is working it is not going to cause symptoms like this. The charging system has more than enough voltage, and amperage to both charge the battery and run the bike, that is what it was designed for.
Sorry, Been there a hundred times over the years.

fbn ent

harley_cruiser

Quote from: fbn ent on March 21, 2015, 07:26:55 PM
Could be a toasted CPS too. :scratch:
Well I am trying to think of stuff that would get fried if the ignition was left on, someone mentioned the coil, that might be it, I don't know why but I am wondering about the fuel pump, but that does not make sense.
could also have fried something while charging the bike, maybe the ecm?
Could it have done something to one of the injectors?

PoorUB

There should not be power to the coils or injectors without the engine turning over. The modern ECM is not like a set of points where they could sit closed with the engine stopped. Personally, I believe it is an unrelated problem.

To the OP, did you jump start the bike, or just charge the battery then get it running. If you jump started it, perhaps that fried something.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

02blueking

going out to work on it this morning but when I turn on the ignition it does sound different would the fuel pump cause those problems?

fbn ent

"There should not be power to the coils or injectors without the engine turning over. The modern ECM is not like a set of points where they could sit closed with the engine stopped."

So...in this case does anything stay hot other than accessories, ECM, and (probably) TSSM?

PoorUB

Quote from: fbn ent on March 22, 2015, 07:20:50 AM
"There should not be power to the coils or injectors without the engine turning over. The modern ECM is not like a set of points where they could sit closed with the engine stopped."

So...in this case does anything stay hot other than accessories, ECM, and (probably) TSSM?

Not sure what would be powered. Any sensor needed to start the bike should be powered, MAP, CPS, TPS and so on, probably more, but I can not image why leaving the power on over night would kill any of these sensors. Why would it any different from running down the road? Someone else here certainly knows more about it than me.

harley_cruiser

Quote from: fbn ent on March 22, 2015, 07:20:50 AM

We'll he would have killed it with the kill switch, left ignition on, so ignition would have been off, coil off, fuel pump off, lights on.
Humm.

fbn ent

He didn't answer the question in Reply #11 so I don't want to assume that he killed it with the switch. Probably though.... :nix:

apendejo

Way back when I would have said you fried the points and overcooked the condenser. A $5 fix.

PoorUB

Maybe it is the dreaded "hole in the fuel line", and it just happened at the same time? :nix:

harley_cruiser

Quote from: fbn ent on March 22, 2015, 08:18:43 AM
He didn't answer the question in Reply #11 so I don't want to assume that he killed it with the switch. Probably though.... :nix:
And he hasn't answered if he has tried to pull codes.