April 28, 2024, 10:33:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2004 night train rear wheel question

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, March 24, 2015, 12:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I just purchased a 2004 nightrain solid rear wheel to replaced my bad laced rear wheel on my 2004 fxst softail standard. (Center hub spoke holes are all elongated so wheel will not stay true)

The rim is in very good condition but I am not sure which side the pully vs rotor mount to.

One side of the wheel the center hub area expands to about 8 or so inches in diameter from where the 5 threaded holes are towards the center of the wheel.

The other side only expands about 4 or so inches and is the side with the shadier valve.

Can anyone tell me which side the rotor vs pulley mounts to.

Thanks

Jack
Member since 2004

FSG

Valve Stem is the right hand side of the wheel.

88b

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I am assuming the right hand side means as if you are sitting on the bike.........Just making sure!!
Member since 2004

FSG

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Thanks!! all set now and no more low speed wobble from loose spokes..............Guess I maybe shouldn't have made it more powerful.......one of the side effects............. :bike:
Member since 2004

rageglide

Buchannans sells a heavier gauge spoke to address hubs like yours.  Unless it's totally and completely roasted...

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

March 24, 2015, 02:19:20 PM #7 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:24:48 PM by FSG
Factory wheel and it is toast.......it took me almost three hours to true it up last summer with a dial indicator. Some of the spokes holes are so elongated It may cause the other end to protrude into the tube.........rather not have that happen.

I purchased the wheel for $175 including shipping and a new one would have cost retail for that wheel is about $560.

I purchased a new floating rotor and bearings from local hd store.

I Will polish the crap out of the new wheel and install new wheel bearings and rotor buy a new tire if needed and never worry about it again......... besides my FXST is black so the center of the wheel being black may work well and contrast all the $$$$$ chrome I put on bike..........Very happy.......If after market chrome solid wheels weren't so expensive ($2-3 thousand dollars) I would spring for that type. But it is not a show bike it is my daily driver.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]
Member since 2004

FSG

rageglide

Cost of the HD stainless spokes would cost you close to the price of that wheel.  The local legend wheel guru told me years back every HD wheel off the factory floor has loose spokes.  Loose spokes = egged out holes.  He relaced the wheels on my softail about 90k miles ago and they are still as true as the day he handed em to me.  Don't take any weight neither.  I had the decel wobbles before relacing never again.

Good looking scooter.

Wicked

Quote from: FSG on March 24, 2015, 12:53:26 PM
Valve Stem is the right hand side of the wheel.
:agree: ! And for anyone the gets a laced center valve rear wheel - rotor bolts are 3/8" and
pulley bolts are 7/16".

Paul