May 03, 2024, 01:30:21 PM

News:

New old tanks

Started by shov60, March 24, 2009, 11:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shov60

Found a nice old tank for my bike the only thing wrong is that it's got a little surface rust in it  Anybody know what to use to clean it?

Lew

I use a liquid acid type rust remover.  It's mostly comprised of dilute phosphoric acid.  Using this method is sure to kill the rust so it isn't a continuing problem.  Another great way is to drink...then crush a beer bottle and put the glass shards in the tank half.  Wrap the tank up in a blanket and duct tape it all up real good then toss it in the dryer and give it a tumble.  Using the glass removes the rust right down to the pores and works better than screws or nuts that tend to beat the rust into the pores.  Good luck!

Lew   
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

dave_9113

Do the dryer tumbling with 100 mini BBs.

stroker800

I use a muriatic acid,,this is for cleaning cement befor paint..It is sold at most hardware stores. I do not dilute for rust removable, pour into tank ,swish around then dump out..pour in oil to prevent rust from returning...REMEMBER  this is ACID,,,,wear gloves , goggles , protective clothing and respirator!  I don't want to scare you , but its as strong as battery acid,,,I have used it for years,,on old rusted bolts,cleaning cylinder bores ,cleaning tanks ,,ect..Also what ever you clean must be oiled after rinse,,or it will rust again instantly.
Dave