Remove rear speaker pods on a 12 Ultra?

Started by EasTexUltra12, March 31, 2015, 06:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasTexUltra12

I use ear buds anytime I'm riding and my wife would appreciate the extra room she would get if I removed the rear speaker pods. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and how difficult it would be? Can I just unplug them, or would the wires need to be cut and sealed? Would I need to get HD to use the digital technician to turn them off? I realize I'll have to plug the holes in the front of the tour pak, I can probably find some nice chrome hardware to do that. I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking about. Any help would be appreciated.

David

UltraNutZ

actually is pretty easy.

once you pull the speakers out you'll see quick disconnects inside the pods.  Just unplug them and feed them through the bottom holes one at a time.  I would seal them up and simply tuck them under the seat.

No need to flash the radio to turn them off, just leave them disconnected.  If you flash it then later put them back on, you'll need to flash it to turn them back on.  Unnecessary expense IMO.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

EasTexUltra12

kd

UN,

How does this compare to removing the 2011 RGU tour pac for use with the quick detach system I just bought (from your friend Walt) and installed? Can I just leave the speaker switch in the center or rear position and continue on?
KD

UltraNutZ

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

kd

Thanks UN. I figured it must be simple as such because I've never heard mention of issues with no rear speaker load from others with detachable units.
KD

EasTexUltra12

Thanks for the help. It really was a piece of cake. Hardest part was filling in the holes in the tour pack. They were oblong so plugs weren't as option. I ended up buying some chrome hardware with chrome acorn nuts. Filled the hole with silicon, and ran the chrome bolt through. Looks good and won't leak.

David