May 03, 2024, 09:22:28 PM

News:

Aftermarket Handlebar Controls

Started by brady117, April 01, 2015, 04:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brady117

Looking to install a Kenwood head unit and an interface for handlebar controls. I have two questions.

1) Who's interface is the easiest to install and most reliable?

2) Do all interfaces you the headphone aux jack on the head unit? I plan to use the headphone aux jack to run my ipod... If this is the case, that will not be possible?

Thanks in advance!

UltraNutZ

April 01, 2015, 04:18:32 AM #1 Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:24:21 AM by UltraNutZ
Quote from: brady117 on April 01, 2015, 04:10:41 AM
Looking to install a Kenwood head unit and an interface for handlebar controls. I have two questions.

1) Who's interface is the easiest to install and most reliable?
Biketronics and Hawg-wired are plug n play;  Biketronics is the only one on the market that retains AVC.  There are several other lessor expensive alternatives out there as well.  Axxess ASWC-1 is a good one

2) Do all interfaces you the headphone aux jack on the head unit? I plan to use the headphone aux jack to run my ipod... If this is the case, that will not be possible?
Most newer aftermarket head units have a dedicated 3.5mm plug for steering wheel (handlebar) controls that has nothing to do with any of the audio inputs.  The kenwood units however don't use a 3.5mm plug but instead they use the blue/yellow wire for steering wheel controls which is present on all handlebar control modules from Biketronics, Hawg-Wired, Axxess, PAC, etc.

Thanks in advance!

hope that helps
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

brady117

That helps a lot Ultra! Thanks.

Would V-Twin's mounting kit with the Hawg wired interface and splash guard be a good choice? I will be installing an amp in the fairing as well. Or is there a less expensive kit that I can also mount an amp and be rigid?

UltraNutZ

I really like the VTwin kit.  It has a nice gloss black finish to it that matches a painted inner perfectly and has the plastic shelf on top of it for mounting a fairing amp.

Get the rain shield from VTwin also.  It's a tad bit pricey but worth it as it completely seals the opening in the fairing when in use.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

DGlide04

You can get a head unit with Bluetooth capabilities and bypass the need for the 3.5mm jack altogether which may work just as well.

brett2413

My neighbor bought a new head unit that was plug and play w/ bluetooth and worked with the hand controls. Brain fart keeping me from remembering the brand. Or you could send your stock unit to Iron Cross Audio and have them install bluetooth in the original unit for a lot less.

brett2413

brady117

Anyone have any experience yet with that new head unit by Aquatic AV that Dragonfly Cycle Concepts sells? I have never heard of either company but people are saying it's the bomb?? Bluetooth, integrated controls, plug n play, waterproof, rca outs, no mount kit needed etc...