April 27, 2024, 03:51:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

never paint a harley green, Its bad luck

Started by cajun1957a, March 24, 2009, 04:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajun1957a

My 65 xlh is missing on the rear cylinder.  The only thing I have done to this bike since it ran good was put a new generator cover on it.  This should not have no bearing on the rear cylinder right?  If I hold the plug wire out a bit it starts to fire.  New plugs, two sets in fact and the gap is .030.  I have tried diferent gaps without success.  They all work in the front.  Is is possible that the coil is not right and how do i test a coil?  Can I use a volt meter for that?  Like I said, the generator should have nothing to do with it, yet now it wont charge either.   Im lost here guys......help me out, I really really like the lime green metal flake on this bike, but many have told me that green is bad luck, and im starting to get superstitious. hahahah.

randy

olpigiron

"If I hold the plug wire out a bit it starts to fire."

I Would Try A New Plug Wire, It Might Be Shorting Out On The Engine Somewhere???
   Spark Plug Gap 0.025-0.030  Inch With Battery Ignition,;     0.020  Inch Magneto Ignition.
   Point Gap 0.022  Inch Battery Ignition,;    Point Gap 0.015 Inch Magneto Ignition.

Hope This Info. Is Somewhat Correct!!!!   :soda:

Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

1972XlchBobber

You have already diagnosed the issue, need a new plug wire. 

If you have not done so yet, you may consider replacing the harness.  Otherwise painfully over time you will find every crack in the wiring harness that exists.  Problems will come and go, things like your secondary generator question.  You may be able to buy a harness.

Mike

saltcaveminer

you need fuel, compression and spark at the right time.Salty

cajun1957a

I checked the wires and turns out I had a brand new plug that was  defecive.   Half a kick cold and this ole baby barks to life.   One down......The other problem that has just arose is with the generator.  I removed it about two weeks ago to put on a new chrome cover and since then it has not charged the battery.  I had it bench tested and the guy said it was ok.....I also pulled off the gen off my 68 xlch and put it on.  No charging either.  Made sure the wires are on proper but i did try both ways.  Is it possible that the brand new (220 miles on it) voltage regulator is bad.  How do i test for that.  I have tried a continuity test and i get continuity on all the wires but this is strange.  If i put the probe on the armature post of the volt reg. and on the feild wire where it bolts to the gen, i get continuity as well as on the respective wire the arm post has.  The field wire does the same.  Should that be right.   This happens with the wires on the gen and off.

I do know the generator of the 68 is good as well cuz it charges back on it.

randy

Pynzo

I've had a couple of D.O.A. Accel Bosch type regulators before, if you're using a Bosch get a genuine Bosch.

saltcaveminer

anytime the gen,bat,or reg is removed you need to polarize the generator.jumper between gen "A" and bat +(just flash it for a second)since you say the gen is good, if this doesn't help recheck your wires and/or replace the regulator.Salty