April 28, 2024, 07:07:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

UN help! - getting what we used to call alternator buzz

Started by ElGiganteJake, April 06, 2015, 05:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElGiganteJake

So, got the bike buttoned up from winter mods (new yaffe tank, custom seat, redid some of the fast air ride setup, had gauges redone in red) and took it out for a ride.  Left bag speaker suddenly has RPM dependent buzzing on it - wtf! Nothing changed as far as the stereo system all winter.

As a reminder the setup is:
Pioneer MVHX560BT reciever
2 RF PBR300x2
Pioneer TSDR 6.5 in fairing
Pioneer TSDR 6x9 in Hogtunes Lids

Go home, pull fairing, pull the amps and swap connections, get nothing on front or rear speakers.  Go ahead and clean up my power and ground connections, button it all back up and test in the garage.  No buzzing front or rear, all is good.  Go for a ride.  About 10 minutes into the ride, now the Right bag speaker now is buzzing.  It is RPM dependent, it only occurs when the stereo is on. 

All grounds appear to be good and solid.  Ground and power distribution blocks are in the fairing that go back to the battery.  40amp fuse is about 10 inches from the battery.  8 gauge wiring to distro blocks and then on to amps.  Amps are on top of the radio, front/fairing amp is behind the Tach, rear/bag amp is behind the speedo.

Battery does have the following connected to it -
Bike Power
Charger pigtail
Stereo wiring
Air Ride Wiring

The airride setup is all ground switched (this is the same setup I used last year without this issue).
~Jake

UltraNutZ

RCA metal shield grounding out somewhere, maybe a fairing support bracket?

tape them up or heat shrink them as I do.

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

ElGiganteJake

You know, I didn't even think of that, they are ziptied up to the amp mounting bracket which is screwed into the fairing support braces.  They could definately be touching, and I did rearrange/clean up that wiring while the fairing was off.   :smiled:
~Jake