May 03, 2024, 07:19:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

starter help

Started by Jusbo48, March 24, 2009, 04:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jusbo48

Ok fellas, heres the deal.
Ultima Hi Torgue Starter, push button switch mounted into the coil cover, no relay, no wires on the bars.
When I push the button sometimes I will make a loud clicking noise a few times then the starter will spin right over,sometimes spins right over right away.
Today I installed a relay(smaller type) and it does the same thing, all new wires, solid ground on the relay.
The new starter is not grounded except to the inner primary(starter is billet Aluminum).
Battery might be a little weak so its charging right now but it just seems like its not getting full voltage all the time.
Solenoid is a HD unit, a year old
Hi strand cables, good solid and clean frame ground.

Any ideas?

gettin brain fried on this one.

76shuvlinoff

Is there any way to temporarily bypass your switch with a heavy wire.?    Battery to starter just to rule out the middlemen.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

baldoldfxr

since you say the battery may be a little low, that would be the first suspect, the soleniod can bounce in & out due to low voltage or loss of current capacity in the battery.

Jusbo48

I will try again today after the battery is fully charged( my maintainer is shot I think) and let ya know what happens.

stroker800

I run a similar set up,,,double ground the negative side of batt,1 to the frame ,1 to the starter,,,I also run the starter "live",,there are NO relays...I run a breaker ...So in fact if you push the starter button it will spin all the time ,,whether the key is on or off. I,ve never had a problem since I did this wire job.
Dave

Jusbo48

Battery is charged, put a ground from the frame to the starter and still have them same problem, push the button and click,clunk,then spin.
I will give your setup a try stroker.

Thanks