April 28, 2024, 11:15:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2003 sportster peanut gas tank gas gauge

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, April 07, 2015, 06:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Girl friend has a 883 2003 sporty with the small "peanut" gas tank. No gas gauge as most are aware of.......

I was wonder if there may be a kit available to add a sending unit and gauge for this?

I have some ideas to adapt my own system but was wondering if anyone knows of anything available.

I and NOT looking to add a external visual clear gas line as I have seen as a possibility.........

One of my ideas would be to install a vertical gas sending unit from the bottom of the tank, the unit will look like the one in the picture. this is a 30 -240 ohm and would connect to a standard 2 1/2 inch fuel gauge such as found in a boat.

The gauge would mount on the handle bars in a nice small housing.

Any thoughts?

[attach=0]
Member since 2004

bigfoot5x

When I first started riding there were no gas gauges on bikes. We used the trip odometer. Our family has had several Sportsters and just did the same thing. Never thought about adding anything.

hogpipes1

Better get a old beater tank for practice, she won't be too happy with a leaking tank running down  her leg.My sister has a xl  set's the speedo, 100 mi  gets gas . keep it simple u get to ride more.

nibroc

yeah "KISS" ---daughter gets gas at 90 mi.on her 03 sportie---I "Potty mouth" canned all gauges on both sporties years ago---sometimes I hafta go on reserve before I get gas---sometimes I run out :scoot:

glens

Not to mention that anything you stick inside that tank is going to reduce the fuel capacity...

ThumperDeuce

If it's carbed with a reserve I sure can't see any need for a fuel gauge.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

phatbob

BUBBIE

The only Problem I had is forgetting to Turn the Reserve BACK to the main fuel setting After fueling.

OH Yes,   

Be careful IF you syphon gas from that Peanut tank for the lawn-mower... A Heavy Hose used as a syphon can and did on mine, push off my High level hose for the Main gas flow leaving me think I was getting really great mileage one day...

Worried, Looking at the gas valve position @ 90 miles,  it was set on the Main yet (usually turned to reserve at 85/87 miles like clock-work), running out at 103 miles,  :scratch:  turning on the reserve,  Gas was Gone...  :emoGroan:

Never needed a gauge, I TOO went by the Mileage and knew where every fuel station was in my 85 mile range...

Peanut tanks ? Loved the look on my 1995 sporty but Liking the 6 gallon much better on my 09 King :SM:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

glens

6 gallons is nice, but on the King I prefer the look of the 5 gallon tanks.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

First off this is a womans bike.........that should tell you the WHY........

They want everything a certain way........haha....

I was just thinking and asking out loud.

If I really wanted to, after more thought on this, I could come up with a kit that would be relatively easy to install and would only require the making of a hole on the bottom side of the tank where it is flat. A few details to iron out and some prototypes to be done But I think I could do it.
Will I? Most likely not........I have a full plate now that the weather is changing. I have much work to do to my own bike, Boat, truck........so the next month or so I will be busy....
Member since 2004

harleyfarmer

:up: on the odometer. When I had a Sportster I stopped about every 100 miles for gas. Didn't need gas but that's about all the miles I wanted to ride at one time. Take a ride, calculate fuel consumption and you're good to go. If I remember right, I'm thinking around 50 mpg on a 1200 conversion? Fun bike!

ThumperDeuce

Hossamania

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on April 08, 2015, 07:21:16 AM
Quote from: phatbob on April 07, 2015, 09:28:27 PM
Old school- sight glass.

Second or third suggestion for a sight glass, yet the OP specifically stated no sight glass. Even if they are cool.
My suggestion, a stick. Put it in, if it is wet, gas is present.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

ThumperDeuce

I just posted the picture as something interesting to look at.  I had never seen one used before in a motorcycle application.