May 01, 2024, 08:05:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Polk DXI Speakers in a Roadglide

Started by lilchief, April 17, 2015, 02:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilchief

I've got 2 pair of Polk Audio DXI 6.5" coax speakers that I took off my old bike before I traded it in on my 2015 Roadglide. My question is will a pair of these fit & work in the 2015 Roadglide fairing? I don't know what ohm the speakers need to be for the new bikes. They sounded good in my old bike but that had an Alpine cda9886 & a SS 520.4 amp in it. I let the stereo & 1 set of speakers go with the old bike but kept the amp & other 4 speakers. I've also got an Arc Audio 2 channel amp. I was hoping to use one of these amps in the future if possible.
Thanks
Lil Chief

UltraNutZ

Lil Chief.. man I'm sorry this got by me...

Yes they'll fit fine but you may have to trim the tabs or speaker rim to accommodate the stock grills.  They are 4 ohm speakers and the 15 bikes still utilize a 2 ohm setup but they will work.

You will likely want to add one of those amps to the mix though to get any sort of decent volume out of them.  I would opt (unless you plan on adding more speakers later) for the Arc amp.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

lilchief

Thanks Ultra, I figured since I have them sitting around I may as well use them. I probably wont mess with this till next fall or winter but I'll get around to it eventually. I was kinda curious as to which of my 2 amps would fit under the fairing. I haven't had it off yet but just looking at it from the outside it looks really tight. If I could squeeze the SS in there I'd probably toss the second set of speakers in the lowers.

Thanks
Lil Chief

UltraNutZ

UltraNutZ

if I recall correctly, there's plenty of room under the head unit for either of those 2 amps.

lilchief

Not a wethead. Air cooled road glide. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it! I'm assuming I'd need a dealer flash once I get around to installing this stuff?

Thanks
Lil Chief

biggzed

I saw a pic of a 15 RG with the fairing off. It's tight in there. The speaker pods take up quite a bit of room. If the ARC will fit above the head unit, that would be the way to go. I run that same SS amp you have on my 07. It wouldn't fit above the fairing so I tucked it under the glove box. Doesn't look like there is room on the 15's for that. Could be room under the speaker pod and it just doesn't show in the pics.

Zach

biggzed

Here's that pic I was referring to.

Zach

lilchief

In that pic it definitely looks pretty tight under that fairing. I guess I really won't know until I get the fairing off, which would probably be later this year. I'm in no hurry to mess with the sound system, but eventually it'll come. I'm not planning on getting into this bike until I have a service manual in hand.

Thanks guys!
Lil' Chief