May 02, 2024, 04:45:04 AM

News:

Poor Radio Reception

Started by greasy, April 17, 2015, 06:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greasy

My 2012 Electra Glide has poor radio reception what's my options?

Bike31

April 17, 2015, 06:48:37 PM #1 Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:06:14 AM by Bike31
What mode....AM, FM, WX, CB?

Turn on the radio before you start the bike to the poor signal mode(s). On a signal free or weak signal frequency listen for and note background noise. Start the bike. Does the noise increase or the weak signal disappear in an increased noise floor?

At the very least clean all radio antenna connections (especially the end of the coax feed at the antenna(s)) and make sure the antenna coax shield has a good connection with the bike frame (its ground plane).

Edit: Apologies for the unfinished business.

The reason to check for an increase in noise from a non-running condition to running is to see if the bike's electrical noise increases. If so the signal can become weaker than the background noise and reception can suffer without a means to reduce the noise.

Contaminated (dirt/moisture/corrosion) radio to antenna to antenna ground contacts can result in poor signal strength. Half of the antenna system is the vertical antenna(s), the other is either the bike's frame, or if required because of poor ground connections, the external shield of the coaxial cable feed line.

Beyond that the radio can be a POS as far as signal sensitivity and selectivity in the presence of local (the bike) noise caused by the bike's electrics.

UltraNutZ

stock antenna or something else?
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

greasy

It's all factory and sucked since mile 1

UltraNutZ

April 18, 2015, 11:14:55 AM #4 Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:47:22 PM by UltraNutZ
that's unusual.  Usually it's pretty good with that stock whip back there.  you must have a bad ground somewhere or the cable itself is bad.

Under the right side cover there is a connector located there and could possibly be unplugged.  Basically what plugs into the radio and runs to the side cover is about a 5' FM extension cable.  Then the antenna wire leading to the whip plugs into it.

Also look under your tour pak liner at the metal plate.  Make sure the antenna wire is grounded securely there.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Bike31

From what I've seen HD does a poor job with weather sealing the antenna's connections and feed line (there really is none), and insuring the antenna ground is bonded to the frame for AM or CB if installed. For FM/WX it's not that critical as the metal plate helps.

Try the HD radio's reception against another at a dealer or a nearby vehicle.

If bike electrical noise when running rises above signal strength it won't work well.

greasy

Karl H.

Quote from: Bike31 on April 18, 2015, 11:25:16 AM
From what I've seen HD does a poor job with weather sealing the antenna's connections and feed line (there really is none)...

I can support this statement based on what I found with my FLHX 2014. After having problems from day one I wiggled and tightened the coax to antenna connector (under the rear Fender) and significantly improved the reception.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

Bike31

Quote from: Karl H. on April 19, 2015, 12:23:25 AM
Quote from: Bike31 on April 18, 2015, 11:25:16 AM
From what I've seen HD does a poor job with weather sealing the antenna's connections and feed line (there really is none)...

I can support this statement based on what I found with my FLHX 2014. After having problems from day one I wiggled and tightened the coax to antenna connector (under the rear Fender) and significantly improved the reception.

Karl

The "seal" is a metal to metal contact of the coaxial cable shield to antenna. It's exposed to whatever weather the rear tire experiences. Any professional radio tech would be amazed at the lack of weather seal...a typical coaxial fitting with external protection is required. Same with potentially flooding the internals with a dielectric and wrapping the externals with tape or heat shrink.

And same deal for the antenna ground. A star washer at best over a bracket attached to an electrically isolated powder coated frame with several insulated components. Piss poor execution with no concern for performance once they cash your check.