May 09, 2024, 01:21:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

14+ stock a/c VS. SE stg. 1 a/c

Started by joe_lyons, April 20, 2015, 10:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_lyons

Did this little test today.  Although the results are not staggering there is a gain from just swapping a/c, even with a 14+ airbox.  Also shown is the differences I had to make to get the stg. 1 a/c to a 13ish line again.  Both runs were at the same temp and in 5th gear.

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

whittlebeast

At 5400 RPM,  you were getting about 4 more ft-lbs.  That is about a 5% gain.  Was the MAP higher on the new filter?  Was the Duty Cycle about 5% higher?
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.

Steve Cole

Joe

Is that a factory 14 air box with the HD stage 1 air-filter kit, or the old stage 1 air cleaner kit on the '14?
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

joe_lyons

Factory 14+ stock a/c setup with stock backing plate as it came off the truck.  And the stg.1 is the one from harley that fits under the stock cover but has the metal backing plate. 

joe_lyons

Quote from: whittlebeast on April 20, 2015, 10:40:31 AM
At 5400 RPM,  you were getting about 4 more ft-lbs.  That is about a 5% gain.  Was the MAP higher on the new filter?  Was the Duty Cycle about 5% higher?
Map changed slightly at higher rpms but only a couple.  IPW went up when i added to the ve table.

whittlebeast

Did the IATs change?  5% is fairly huge for an air filter that is not doing ram tuning.

1FSTRK

Quote from: joe_lyons on April 20, 2015, 12:01:38 PM
Factory 14+ stock a/c setup with stock backing plate as it came off the truck.  And the stg.1 is the one from harley that fits under the stock cover but has the metal backing plate.

Great info Joe. It is always nice to have the data posted with the claims.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

bxbutch

I wonder how much difference there would be on the road with the stock ac with the front air intake compared to stg.1 with hot air off of engine Butch

FLTRI

Quote from: whittlebeast on April 20, 2015, 12:13:24 PM
Did the IATs change?  5% is fairly huge for an air filter that is not doing ram tuning.
Very typical and repeatable results from the stock muffler/ac air box to free/open breathing stage 1 air cleaner.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

whittlebeast

I would guess that a fair amount of the power change is due mostly to the fine tuning of the EFI and less to do with the hardware changes.

I would think that most people don't bother to tune the stock bike as they assume the tune is correct from the factory.

Andy

FLTRI

Quote from: whittlebeast on April 20, 2015, 02:25:18 PM
I would guess that a fair amount of the power change is due mostly to the fine tuning of the EFI and less to do with the hardware changes.
Nope simply back to back comparisons.
I would think that most people don't bother to tune the stock bike as they assume the tune is correct from the factory.
I know no tuner who assumes the stock calibration is correct. In fact most every tuner I know assumed the exact opposite and find tuning a stock bike will help rideability, smoothness, and overall power, not to mention cooling it down a bit as well.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

1FSTRK

Andy

Never guess, do the test.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

joe_lyons

Andy
Both graphs are of the bike being tuned in, not a stocker vs tuned setup.

Bike31

Which way did the A/F go with the Stage 1 filter assembly? I don't know enough to read the two graphs.

glens

Steve Cole

Quote from: joe_lyons on April 20, 2015, 12:02:55 PM
Quote from: whittlebeast on April 20, 2015, 10:40:31 AM
Map changed slightly at higher rpms but only a couple.  IPW went up when i added to the ve table.

Joe what were the before and after values of the Max MAP if you have the data? It could be that it max'ed out the sensor reading. Since you set the AFR the same in both test cases the injector is out of the picture. Did you change spark any?
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.