May 09, 2024, 01:29:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fishing wires Through Handlebars with Multiple Bends

Started by Pynzo, March 26, 2009, 07:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pynzo

I'm having fun today- finally got some hbars back from the plater and now it's time to put the wires through. Up till now I've only dealt with smooth bend bars and they are easy. This set was kinda tricky so Iused dental floss and a #10 nut to get the first fish through, then used stripped 22 guage wire. I'll solder the ends of the switch wires to my fish to pull them through. Anybody comes up with a better idea let me know!

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

stroker800

I have used a shop vac to suck a piece of string thru, then taped to the wires..
Dave

Pynzo

Little Al

I was gonna suggest a couple of drinks, to steady your nerves and keep your patience.

Dave may have a better idea, but I think my way is more fun!
Little Al

ricochet

Wow! You're really having to get around a sharp angle in those bars.  You got the right ideas.  When pulling the wires though place as much emphasis on feeding wire going in as pulling wire coming out so as not to pull the wire into that angle and possibly cut it off.  It may be sharp in there.  Might want to use an piece of bicycle brake cable rather than the 22 gage.  Would round the corner better and be less apt to cut/break.  Or carb cable.  You'll also want to have something at that angle to protect the installed wires.  If the wires are loose and you can put a piece of plastic tube on use a length that you can shove in there to go at least past that spot.  So if it's 10 inches from the entry hole to the angle make it 11 or 12 inches and just shove it into the bars.

ricochet

Pynzo

I've now run some fish tank pump tubing up past the bends and pulled a length of 16 guage through that with the 22g. Problem is going to be pulling the harness through- 4 16 guage on one side and 5 on the other.

I think Al is right, I'll wait till tonight and have some Ales while I proceed with the next step.

1711tab

Put a little dish soap on the wires and they will pull a lot easier...
"KOC" - HYPERFORMANCE & R&R CYCLES R&D TC 131"

INNOVATORS NOT IMITATORS

Pynzo

I've hosed down the inside of the bars with WD40, I'll try the soap too, it always worked on tire beads.

harpo1313

Quote from: stroker800 on March 26, 2009, 07:53:34 AM
I have used a shop vac to suck a piece of string thru, then taped to the wires..
Dave
or blow the string with an air hose

Little Al

I've used liquid soap and WD-40 for that kinda stuff before, but if it's really tight, especially on the 5 wire side, you might want to use pulling lube electricians use, or at least dielectric grease.
the suggestion of "lining" the inside of the bars, which you've done with the fish tank tubing is damn good.

another suggestion I'll make because I know from my own 50K miles worth of experience on my Shovelhead. when the wires are tight and you have to get a lot through I've used computer network wire. 8 wires each with a tough insulating cover and the whole thing inside a very thin but tough outer covering.
On my Shovel I used it for all the bar switch wires, signals, horn, high/low, kill and starter. Been in there 50K miles without a single problem
Little Al

Pynzo

I may try that, will the wiring for the headlight cook if too much juice flows through?

Little Al

I used good quality network wire. I have tons of it, I can send you some when we swap gen gears, lol

On my Shovel, it carries the juice up to the headlight switch, back down to the headlight, so it's carrying the full volts & amps of the headlight and like I said, 50K later and still ticking
Little Al

Little Al

wow, now you actually got me thinking about when I did my Shovel. I used that network wire to wire just about the entire bike, except for some of the high amp circuits (starter relay to solenoid, Ignition switch to circuit breakers, etc.). I used it for taillights, signal lights, headlight. On the Shovel ('83 FXRT) I made the entire wiring harness myself, ran lots of wires through the frame tubes
Little Al

Pynzo

I use old CB radio mike cord for hbars to headlamp wire- old school style. These cords have 4 22 guage in them so I just solder together  2 wires for high and 2 for low, gives the juice enough room to flow. You say the network cable has 8 wires? I'll do the same trick up top- just have to make sure I diagram what I did.

Little Al

well you can double up on this too if you feel the need. also allows for "spares" laying in there in case of a broken wire someday.

Got about 20 feet put on the side for ya
Little Al

Pynzo

stroker800

Pynzo,,,I'd would have never thought of CB mic cords...I like the spiral wound look myself,,I have been known to buy cloth covered cord from the hardware store,,its 3 strand ,,looks kinda cool...Lets face it...on a pan or shovel its about the mechanical look,,you don't want to hide the wires, oil lines, pulleys,,,Thats what you do to a "billet barge"
Dave

Pynzo

First issue of Easyriders I looked at had a couple of bikes with the mike cord between the headlamp shell and hbars, I thought that looked pretty cool and have used that every time I do a wiring job. Looks especially great on Springer Forks.

CraigArizona85248

I've always liked the look of cloth covered wires too.  On my panhead I use a fiberglass loom to cover the wires.  It's both heat and oil resistant.  Helps prevent damage from chaffing too.  I like the look a lot.  I just feed my wires into the loom, pull it tight, and secure it on the ends with the shrink tube that has glue inside.  Works great.

Little Al

Little Al

Pynzo

dablaze

Not sure if it will work with those bends...but I have used a Mig welder to send wires a distance before...might be worth trying on bars...

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

CraigArizona85248

I got the fiberglass loom here: http://cableorganizer.com/fiberglass-protective-sleeving/
I use the "Heavy Wall (1/32" Wall) Fiberglass Sleeving" product.

-Craig

Little Al

Little Al

CraigArizona85248

Yeah... it is pricey.  In my case I needed the loom for 12ga wire and that is available in 250' rolls (part #SPFGSHW012G) for ~$50 (the price is $63.50 today... I bought almost 6 years ago).  Then I had a buddy who was working on a project so we each took 125'.  My cost was only about $25.  Much more reasonable.

-Craig