May 02, 2024, 03:30:00 PM

News:

Cranking Fuel questions.

Started by crazycalvin, March 26, 2009, 09:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycalvin

Hello and good morning to all.  I have questions about the Cranking Fuel tables.  When you tune a bike, do you typically make adjustments to the Cranking Fuel pulse width and if so how much do you normally have to adjust by?  My bike runs good, gets good gas mileage, no knock retard, and the plugs look good.  When it is cold (first start of the day or has sat for a long while) or when it has been just shut off and started back up it starts pretty quick.  When it has sat for a short while (30 to 60 minutes) and has been warmed up, it seems like it turns over a few revolutions before it starts up.  There is no smell of gas when I try to start it up and it turns over.  I almost always wait until the light goes out before I attempt to start it.  Thanks in advance, Calvin.  ps my bike is 2006 Deuce EFI, SEST, SE203 cams, 95 CID SE High Compression Cast Pistons, V & H BSS.

murphdog

As I'm sure you know, the cranking fuel table is based on temperature.You're gonna need to find out what the motor temp is when it's been sitting for 30-60 minutes and make a change to that cell. Sounds like you have a race tuner, so just run data mode and monitor temperature before you start it under those conditions. Also check the exhaust for black smoke the instant it fires on a hard start: black smoke on a hard start and you need to take some cranking fuel out, no black smoke on a hard start and you need to add. Make small changes, a couple units or around 0.5ms can make a big difference between hard start and instant start.
With the exception of 0 degrees, I had to add at 64 degrees and below and subtract at 80 degrees and above. Below is what I added to or subtracted from reference and what I ended at.

0 -5.1ms to 54.8
20 +2.8ms to 36.6
32 +3.3ms to 31.2
48 +1.5ms to 21.5
64 +0.3ms to 18.2
80 -0.5ms to 17.4
96 -1.3ms to 16.6
112 -1.5ms to 16.4
128 -1.8ms to 16.1
144 -2.0ms to 15.9
160 -2.3ms to 15.6

crazycalvin

Thanks murphdog.  I will do some data recording on start ups and see what the data reveals and go from there.  Thanks again, Calvin.