May 08, 2024, 11:43:56 PM

News:

1997 Sportster 1200 C wont start

Started by anthonyflhx, April 30, 2015, 09:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyflhx

A co worker has a 1997 Sporty 1200 C he just got and it was in a little rough condition.

Ran great Until today. So last night he rode the bike and everything was running perfectly.

This morning he woke up and tried to start it and wouldn't turn on. He checked the battery and it was at a full charge.

Checked the volts to be safe and it was at 13V. So he tried it again, and nothing, wouldnt even turn over.

When he stick the key in, turn it to acc. the lights and panels turn on.

But when he turn the key to on all the lights shut off. I flip the starter switch to on and hit the starter and nothing.

Is there a way to bypass ignition switch for testing purposes?

Any idea what it could be? TIA

Panzer

Like so many have said here............check all grounds, from the battery down.
You said it was pretty rough when he got it and I'll bet my bottom dollar it's a ground problem.
I'd start with both battery terminals and cables and shine them with a wire battery brush, try to start it.
If nothing, go to the chassis ground and shine it..........go from there to any other grounding wires.

Make it easy on yourself, check fuses first then the above mentioned grounds.
Good hunting and let us know.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

xlfan

I Seem  to remember there was a problem with  the factory  positive  batterycables under the factory seal at battery end  on the 97-99 xl's.

Xlfan