May 01, 2024, 02:24:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

small handlebar mount mechanical speedos

Started by bericuda, March 26, 2009, 12:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bericuda

does anyone know who makes a good unit!? all i can find is offshore baby rattle sounding things. would like a resetable trip meter in it too...i don't want to have to convert to complete electric to get what i want but, may have to.....thanks

pan64

I had one I liked, the only one I could find with a trip odometer was at J&P cycles.

greybeard_541

I use a battery operated bicycle speedo on mine... :) Programmable, trip meter odometer, clock all in one small package.

Greybeard

stroker800

Also ran a bicycle speedo,,worked well but at 100mph it didn,t register also found that some of them have too short a wire from sender to guage, but they are cost effective and small.
Dave

greybeard_541

Sigma 1606L (back light feature). Wire is long enough. Takes a little to adapt the provided magnet (had to drill/ream it out for the larger spoke) but if you're running a disc brake you can fit a round rare earth magnet into the disc (where the pads won't hit it) and use that as a pick up instead. As to 100 MPH? Can't vouch personally for that but it theroretically will register to 175MPH according to what I've read.

Nice unit, removes from the mount with a 1/4 twist for when you wash the bike.

Greybeard.

bericuda

thanks guys,heard about using bicycle units before.i wish i would have studied the offerings better befor i ditched my console...i just mounted a 2001 wide glide one piece 5 gallon tank to my shovel with other things in mind for instrumentation.just to find out most stuff out there is junk or meant for startrek....lol.maybe this is a good way to go after this speedo goes...won't be long.