May 09, 2024, 01:29:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

120R rich at idle

Started by majorbob, May 01, 2015, 01:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majorbob

:nix:I'm riding a '03DWG with a 120R, Mikuni HSR45, D&D pipes.  I have dropped the pilot jet from #25 to #17.5 yet the engine is still rich - I can adjust the idle mixture 'till the screw comes out but the engine still runs and puffs black smoke?  Any suggestions?

joe_lyons

Do you for sure have the correct choke plunger, as the Keihn one and Mikuni one are different and will cause issues like your having.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

FLTRI

Quote from: joe_lyons on May 02, 2015, 05:16:22 AM
Do you for sure have the correct choke plunger, as the Keihn one and Mikuni one are different and will cause issues like your having.
:up: :up:
Also, if the cable is not properly seated into the choke elbow it will cause the symptom you describe as it holds the enrichen er open a bit.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

majorbob

You know, I thought maybe the choke was the problem too, so I removed the cable leaving the guts in the carb. But no change. I have now dropped the pilot jet size down to 17.5 (next to smallest).  No change!

rbabos

Needle ,seat, sealing the fuel off? Float set way too high is all I can offer.
Ron