harley nav module and 590 garmin

Started by moose, May 05, 2015, 02:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

anyone know the software to operate a nav module that I had in the bike for the garmin 665 how to make it work with a 590
Moose aka Glenn-

UltraNutZ

nav module?

if you're talking about the NIM harness for the 665, it won't work with the 590LM.  That's why a lot of folks stayed with the 660/665 instead of upgrading to the 590LM.  To be quite honest, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my 665.  I think the 590LM sucks and I don't use it with a stocker head unit.

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

moose

I know it does not work with the 590  but hoping it is software and if anyone has the ability to compare 590 to 660 files to see what works the road tech 660  665
Moose aka Glenn-

Copyless

You can not make a Garmin Zumo 660 or 665 work with the NIM, and you won't get the 590 to work either. What exactly is your question? If you want to know how the RT's communicate with the NIM, then yes, it is based in the firmware. It is proprietary coded, and guaranteed to brick your 590 long before you ever get close to getting it to communicate with the NIM.

If your question is, how does it communicate? Then, the first NIM's used a tone carrier to signal "prompts to follow" and mute and un-mute the radio, it was discovered however that some digitally synthesized music could produce the tone and thus mute the radio and leave it muted since the deactivation tone would not follow. A PWM placed as the carrier and the tonal carrier removed, so it's that simple, get your 590 to fit the RT cradle and write a new firmware version and you'll have a new paperweight in no time.

I would have to say that lots of people bought the Zumo 660/665 to find out it would not work and they all wanted to make it work, and this has been going on for more than 5 years, and the RT Zumo's are still the only GPS's that work with the NIM, so take it from someone that traveled that road already, use your 590 as a stand alone GPS, and if you want an integrated GPS with your radio, get a RT Zumo 660/665.

Onthefence

Quote from: Copyless on May 06, 2015, 04:46:12 AM

If your question is, how does it communicate? Then, the first NIM's used a tone carrier to signal "prompts to follow" and mute and un-mute the radio, it was discovered however that some digitally synthesized music could produce the tone and thus mute the radio and leave it muted since the deactivation tone would not follow.

That describes exactly how my piece of crap NIM worked.  Even when it did work the volume was unusable at speed.....

moose

ok thanks to all    so anyone need to buy a nim at a reasonable price.     Oh i know I'll just call Garmin and tell them I want the firmware installed on my 590 I'm sure they will help     :banghead:
Moose aka Glenn-

Copyless

Quote from: moose on May 09, 2015, 04:06:17 AMOh i know I'll just call Garmin and tell them I want the firmware installed on my 590 I'm sure they will help     :banghead:

Sorry moose, don't think that that idea hasn't been tried also, because more than one has tried it, and I know you were kidding, but I wanted to stop the laughter before you hurt yourself.

You could sell the 590 and put lots more money with what you get from selling it and buy a RT 660 or 665, you can find then used from other bikers (like UN sold his) sometimes for 4-5 hundred for one, it's a thought. I mean in all honesty, I don't see anything coming close to the 660/665 with the NIM for people that actually use the prompts, it is a great unit. I actually just started looking at buying another RT 660 to go on my '15, and I may end up buying it new, I had found a 665 for a good price, but it seems that they couldn't find the antenna, because after I asked about it, they couldn't find it in the parts they had, and thought it was at their shop, but they never called back so I bet they never found it, and it's not really a bargain for the 665 used at a good price, if it doesn't have the antenna, because that antenna can range from 150 (if lucky) to 275 dollars. I hope you have good luck and a great turnout with whatever route you decide to go.

Onthefence

Quote from: Copyless on May 09, 2015, 05:09:52 PM

... I actually just started looking at buying another RT 660 to go on my '15, and I may end up buying it new,...

Does you 15 have the nav built into the radio?   If so,  i am guessing you don't like it.

UltraNutZ

14/15 NAV sucks.

Copyless - for the price some of these clowns on fleabay want for used 660/665 devices, you might as well buy new....

moose

so you think 650 is a good price for the 590 with complete kit car bike etc.
Moose aka Glenn-

UltraNutZ

moose

Moose aka Glenn-