April 27, 2024, 01:40:22 PM

News:

New Project

Started by bc1, May 26, 2015, 01:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bc1

I am new to Sportsters, I ride an Ultra Classic. But....... I have always wanted a project bike. You know, something I can do my way, and have smaller, lighter bike to ride on when I don't feel like getting Brigitte,(My Ultra) out. I have also wanted to rebuild a vintage bike, I am fairly good with tools.

A friend of mine called, said there's a 74 Sportster, with a 77 front end, (dual disk brake setup) for sale. The engine has been rebuilt. I don't know any more than that. The heads need to be reworked, no problem for me. So, I get a rolling chassis, engine, and all the parts/tin for $1200.

What should I be looking for, good and bad? Also, what were the colors of 1974?

I'm going to go look at the bike and parts later this week, so any advise would be appreciated.

Racepres

'78 was the first year for dual disk I.H.
They All have Been Rebuilt when yer Buying!!!!
And I'm trying to Figger out why a Rebuilt motor needs the Heads done?????
Make sure the thing Shifts...don't really have to run...just rock back and forth and ensure she goes thru the gears.....
Color is something I would be Shocked to find out is stock...
My biggest obstacle to Sportsters older than '77 [actually 1975] is the shifting on the right....I don't like it as much as I did when I was [much] younger...

nibroc

wow---somebody posted

bc1

I was told it does have right hand shift, kick start and electric start. The engine was rebuilt, except for the heads. The motor has the top of the jugs sealed off. I was told that the heads need to be looked at.

Dual disks were on a 77. I have a service manual for this model series and owners manual for a 1977.

Will be sure to check the tranny.

Is $1200 a reasonable price for this parts project? Seems a bit high, but reasonable depending on how complete the bike is as far as parts.

Racepres

May 26, 2015, 07:47:53 PM #4 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:50:17 PM by Racepres
For Starters...No.... 1977 Sportsters have a Single Disk...last year for it. my boys have one each...Bone stock...The '78 we had was Dual disk...I don't care what the Book says....Unless there was a "late year" change that I have Never seen...Or...It is an XLCR?? And, I have seen at least my share. I do believe that the '77 SuperGlide may have been dual disk...which leads to confusion also.
Matters not, as the early Dual disk was Not really a Huge Upgrade from a functioning Single ..except that they rattled less.
And yes..the '74 is the last [official] year of right side shift...tho the '75 and '76 can be converted back to right side shifting easily, while the '77 and later Sporty's can be converted to right side shift...it ain't nearly easy.
$1200.00 seems very reasonable...If it has a Clear/Clean title Only.

bc1

Thank you for your information Racepres. I hope to have a look at the bits tomorrow.

Racepres

Have ya some fun!!!
If you get where you don't want to do those heads...I have a Friend who is getting rid of a Very Nice set of [1000cc] Ironheads.
Or...I have some that are Fair!!!!

bc1

Still haven't gotten to see the bike/parts yet. The seller hasn't gotten back in town yet. Rats! I am looking forward to this project.

dr evo1

posters are right 77 had a single front brake only the XLCR had duel disc in 77 I thought 79 was the first year. could be wrong. I would look at the cyls are there fresh bore with new pistons. is there a list of new parts  dose the engine number match the frame number ending with a 7 post some pictures and we can help

dr evo1

I was wrong 78 was the first year for xl dual disc brakes. post some pictures.

Coff 06

I just sold my 78 and yes it was a dual disc front end.          Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

bc1

I'll be glad to post some pics when and if I get the bike. All I have posted about the bike is from second hand info. I really won't know what's there and what it is until I look at it.

If this one doesn't work out, I'll be on the hunt for another project bike. For a long time I wanted to restore a Brit bike, AJS etc. but my friend talked sense into me. Why not restore an old Sportster instead? I want to build a reliable bike to ride, not to factory like new condition, and not want to ride it.

Racepres

Quote from: bc1 on May 29, 2015, 05:57:26 PM
I'll be glad to post some pics when and if I get the bike. All I have posted about the bike is from second hand info. I really won't know what's there and what it is until I look at it.

If this one doesn't work out, I'll be on the hunt for another project bike. For a long time I wanted to restore a Brit bike, AJS etc. but my friend talked sense into me. Why not restore an old Sportster instead? I want to build a reliable bike to ride, not to factory like new condition, and not want to ride it.

Where in the countryside are you located???
I have a Basket clean titled '74

bc1

Racepres, I'm in Maine, near Augusta. I finally got to see the bike two days ago, and it looks interesting. I am going to get it. Then I will be learning how this Sportster goes together. It's different than my Ultra, but I want to learn, so hear goes.

I will post pics of this bike when I get it home.

If you want, send me a message with the details on your basket case bike. It never hurts to have extra parts. Thanks for the offer.

Panzer

Show him $1000.00 cash in hand and I bet he takes it.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

bc1

Picked up my project. I have all kinds of extras, plus the seller is making sure I have more than what I need to finish up this bike. He's been repairing motorcycles for over fifty years, and doesn't have time to put the Sportster together.
Now to sort out the parts, and start the mock up assembly. Well, forget the pics. I am not allowed to attach a single 267kb file. The max size is supposed to be 350kb, what gives?

Pete_Vit

Looks like a nice start, reminds me of my Honda build back in the 80's, only difference, I had 2 identical basket case's,  Honda 550 twins, one with a bad trans and motor and one with a bad frame.
good luck and have fun!
not sure if you'll need to,  but maybe check the swing arm bushings and neck bearings before you start  :nix:.   

bc1

Pete, I believe the swing arm was rebuilt. The entire chassis has been done over, and seems perfect.

I am missing most of the clips, fasteners, bolts and nuts. I have to scrounge them up, and I'm not concerned if they're fancy chromed ones.

Let's see if I can get some smaller pics posted.

bc1

bc1

bc1

June 13, 2015, 07:16:02 AM #21 Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:25:20 AM by bc1
Last pic, with rebuilt motor coming next. I was told it was done at a custom shop in Mass. The cylinders are .010 over, no compensator, but I have one in a bin if I want to install it.

Now I have to start the mock up. I managed to find a web site on rebuilding a basket case Sporster and it has given me a start on what to do first. I have also been scouring Ebay looking at the parts for this year buike, so I can get a better idea what I am missing. One concern is I don't have any switches or wiring harness.

Posting the last pic next. If you have any goodies I may need, pm me please. Also, tips are appreciated. I know my 03 Ultra inside and out, but an ols Sporster is a new learning experience.

bc1

Panzer

Yup, they're in baskets alright.
Suggest you check the "want to sell" posts here on HTT, might help.
I have take off chrome mufflers for sale there if and when the time comes.
Good luck.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: bc1 on June 13, 2015, 07:14:50 AM
Number two pic
Nice, that's fits the description of a basket case totally  :up:
I had some issues with my last rebuild on my Springer, the previous owner possibly had someone do some work on the motor,  or the 'HD certified mechanic'  I had 'try and fix' my base gasket leak used whatever bolts he has laying around, trying to get the correct fasteners was fun, but thanks to the find folks here, I got the right part #'s for all I needed.
looks like a nice project, have fun