Different ohm resistance front to rear on Ultra

Started by HD_04Ultra, May 26, 2015, 04:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD_04Ultra

Have an 04 Ultra with stock factory head unit.
Been using Polk Audio DB525 4-ohm speakers front and rear.
Left front speaker cone separated from surrounding "cushion".
Replaced front speakers with Hog-Tunes 2-ohm speakers.

Will unbalanced system (2-ohm front with 4-ohm rear speakers) cause problems with head unit?

Had to adjust fade control 1-notch towards rear speakers to make volume sound equal front-to-rear, but otherwise all sounds good.

TIA.
HD_04ultra

Coyote

You should not use a 2 ohm speaker on that HU. Damage is likely

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Coyote on May 26, 2015, 09:00:08 PM
You should not use a 2 ohm speaker on that HU. Damage is likely

:agree:

Hogtunes is a true 2 ohm speaker and your head unit is only rated to go as low as 4 ohms.  You're going to toast the front if not both front and rear outputs on that head unit with those speakers.  May not be today or tomorrow but it will happen.

4 ohm speakers is what you want to use on that head unit.

Now if you add an amp in the mix, then the speakers need to correlate with the amp instead of the head unit.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

HD_04Ultra

All:

Thanks for the replies.  Emailed Mike "PEZ" at Hogtunes and got the exact same advice.  Returned the Hogtunes Front Speakers and purchased the entire 2000-2013 4 speaker/amp kit P/N NCA 450U KIT-AA.
Thankfully I didn't fry anything.  Total on-time with the 2-ohm fronts and stock HU was probably less than 2.5 hrs.
Really hoping this "kit" is worth the $600.  Been reading here and see some discouraging comments about Hogtunes amplifiers but opted for the "kit" because I am not an audiophile and really wanted something that was designed to be "plug-and-play".

If anyone has experience with the NCA 450U Kit-AA from Hogtunes I would really appreciate hearing what your impression is.

Thanks again for the quick responses as they probably saved me the cost of replacing the HU due to my lack of knowledge regarding this stuff.

HD_04ultra